Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Concerned about height

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by CCrazy about sheltie, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    "they do mature and fill out over the next year or two." Does this mean they get broader? What fills out?

2. CCrazy about sheltie

CCrazy about sheltie Forums Novice

Jun 11, 2016
    Thanks, Ann! Interestingly, his paws are not large, and seem to fit his size right now. Maybe he has reached maturity in height!!! :)

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Yes, in a sense they do get broader. They develop muscle and more bulk. If you look at a picture of a bitch at 12 months and the same dog at 3 or 4 years old, you'll see a difference. They just look more put together. Also, some lines are very late to mature...mine don't really grow up until around age 3 or 4. You can see what I mean in the pictures below. The first picture is Lacey at 15 months, and the second now at age 5. You can really see the difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. CCrazy about sheltie

CCrazy about sheltie Forums Novice

Jun 11, 2016
    He gets 1-7/8 cups of fromms puppy gold and loves it and has done well. This is the mfrs. recommended amount for his age and size, but I am concerned about his weight at such a young age.i realize there are many variables, and he is quite large for his age, but would appreciate your thoughts. I certainly don't want to over feed him and wondering how accurate are these recommended feedings from the mfrs.