Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Debarking a Sheltie---recommend a good Vet ?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Nostradamus, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    I like to debark my sheltie. I live in Chicago area. Please recommend a Vet that is best at this in my area. yes yes, I know you will ask why am I debarking my sheltie. I had shelties all my life and generally, I buy one that is already debarked but this one from a rescue, and had it for 3 years now. but had some issue with Psycho neighbor complaining too much.
    Shelties Bark. It is in their nature. Training can lessen it but only to certain extent. Good Vet can do this procedure with very little risk.

2. Kelly

Kelly Administrator

Feb 21, 2008
    Merrimack, NH
    Welcome to the forums Nostradamus.

Since the forum serves a world wide group of Sheltie lovers, I think you might have better luck seraching locally. You can call around to local vets from your area to see if they perform the procedure. Alternatively, you can try reaching out to local dog rescue groups to see if they have any recommendations for you.

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Also try contacting your breeder. Most breeders have had Atleast one dog done or know of a vet that does it with good results.

Oops just realized it was from a rescue. If it was a sheltie rescue contact them. They will know of a vet or even try contacting breeders in the area if not and they will know.

4. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

Well, have you considered training before debarking....

You should know that debarking is not necessarily forever. My Indy was debarked when I got him at 10 months. Didn't last long. By 2 years he was barking again

I would work on training first. That's my current plan. I now have Indy no longer barking at the printer.....baby steps! And yes, I used remote ultrasonic trainer for it. An hand held device - no collar. But he pays attention. Now, I only have to say "settle" when I send something to the printer.

5. Nostradamus

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    Well if you have a good Vet do the job, it lasts forever. I had a sheltie I bought from a showhome that was 1 and 1/2 year old that was already debarked and that sheltie had toned down bark for the rest of its life. That Vet has retired since then.

6. Nostradamus

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    Kelly, for some reason, this area locally is scarce on vets that do this job. They tell me this is old procedure and they no longer consider it part of Vet practice.
    and yes, my breeder knew of this vet in north but she said he no longer does this procedure.

7. Nostradamus

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    Also one other question was that Is the procedure any more riskier on a Older dog like 6 year old healthy sheltie ? Is the risk any different if it is done as puppy or as older adult ?

8. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    Louisiana
    I rescued 2 very small shelties a few years ago. Penny was "debarked" & JoJo wasn't. They both barked but Penny just sounded raspier. It was a bit softer but not silent. She really barked more than JoJo but she sounded like she was hoarse so it was still noticeable. I have used a barker collar on some of my dogs & it got to the point where all I had to do was have the collar on top of their crate so when they barked they heard the noise & stopped. Many vets no longer do it because it isn't always successful.

Maybe a pair of earplugs for the neighbors might help! Or is there a place to put your dog where the barking won't bother them? Like a room with walls that don't adjoin the neighbor.

9. Nostradamus

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    You know how the Sheltie bark carries far and loud. YOu can hear a sheltie bark a mile away. they are just made that way. and YES, successful Debarking will allow the sheltie to bark but with raspier, hoarse voice. That is the Objective. That was the voice my last sheltie had after debarking and it was one of the happiest dog in the world. and as the dog got older, yes the bark did get little bit louder but not by much.

10. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Debarking

Both mine are done.There are only 2 vets in the state of Connecticut that does it.I tried all the training and sometimes it just doesn't work and in my case it didn't.