Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Debarking a Sheltie---recommend a good Vet ?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Nostradamus, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    Some person said, after debarking when the dog realizes it can't bark like it used to do, it can go Crazy and bite people. Is this True ? or is that person just ignorant ?

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    We have a really good local vet that does them, probably a bit far for you.

3. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Debarking

Not true and that person is ignorant.

4. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    I did not mean to offend, Nostradamas. I was just recounting my experience. Some people think debarking makes them unable to make a sound. Obviously you are more aware & experienced. I apologize if my answer was taken as more than that.My husband found the raspy bark almost as bothersome as the regular sheltie bark. It seemed like Penny barked more so we often wondered if she was trying harder to get her point across because she was quieter. Probably not but those shelties are almost human sometimes!

5. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    I have two, both debarked. the procedure didn't take all that well on one of them, so his bark is pretty loud, but probably not full volume. The other has a raspy, quiet bark. Neither knows that they have a funny bark, and they bark away happily when the spirit moves them. It doesn't do anything to their personalities--they bark; they don't know it sounds different.

When I brought one to my local vet for the first time after acquiring her, I mentioned she was debarked and he was horrified and said he had never run across that in his 25 years of practice, and acted like she had been abused. I found a new vet.

6. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Our first Sheltie was debarked when we got him. He had the cutest little "chirpy" bark. And he was a happy little boy. Debarking didn't bother him a bit that I could see.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Umm... that is stupid on it's face. Sorry, the person that made that up is an idiot.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I have two very happy and very healthy Shelties both of whom are debarked. They are some of the calmest dogs who love to run and play with other dogs (in controlled environments). They love people, especially people with food. :lol:

Basically, this person is an idiot.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

As i said in my earlier post, I don't have issue with debarking, but there was another thread that its common for the vocal chords to grow back. Indy's definitely did.

You suggested that this was poor surgery. I would like to hear from others about this.

10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2013
    Chicago
    Another very important question is " Is it cruel to debark a sheltie that is 6-7 years old already ?"