Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Debarking a Sheltie---recommend a good Vet ?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Nostradamus, Feb 27, 2013.

1. kathy eldridge

kathy eldridge Forums Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    Does anyone know of a vet who does it in Oregon, preferably Bend

2. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Our Koz is a rescue and 7 years old when
    we got him, Not a whole lot is known about his past. I am thinking that he may have been debarked at one time as he rarely barks and when he does it is a very quiet bark.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Not at all! As folks have said, this is a minimally invasive procedure -- not unlike dental cleaning. And frankly, the Shelties don't seem to notice that they no longer shake the rafters -- must be Sheltie ego! :lol:

As in any procedure involving anesthesia, there are always risks, but in the great majority of healthy adult Shelties, they are minimal. Your vet can go over the possibilities with you.

Ann likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    One of the best ways to find a vet skilled in bark softening is to ask a reputable breeder. Check on the American Shetland Sheepdog Association website (www.ASSA.org) for breeders in your area. :yes:

5. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    What about using a bark collar? I saw someone else mention it. I bought one off Amazon for about $20. The one I bought does not shock, it only vibrates and makes a buzzing sound. I used it on my Sheltie once while she was in the backyard and I have not had a problem since. I know she is not "cured" and she has since barked at squirrels on walks, but I would try that before surgery. My sister uses a bark collar on her dogs for 3 days and then has no problems.

I should also mention that the collar can be set to different levels.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  6. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Our Drake was debarked by the breeder at 5 months and while we initially had mixed feelings about it, we are fine with it and he is 4 now.

We actually refer to Drake sometimes as "Dog Vader" because when he semi growls, it sounds like Darth Vader breathing in Star Wars,..... We also think because we've giggled at this trait often, he also plays on it & turns it on even more....

7. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    @Ian & Danielle I just heard the bark you are talking about for the first time on our walk last night. One of the dogs in our neighborhood was barking at us from behind his fence and you could tell it had been softened. It was more pleasant sounding and I'm sure the near neighbors appreciated it.

Ian & Danielle likes this.
  8. Ian & Danielle

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada

I have some video of Drake "Being on guard" to defend his people from a couple of wild Grouse while we were out walking that I'll upload later today,..... It shows his softened bark & the Vader growl ;)

9. Ian & Danielle

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada

Dog Vader really kicks in at about 1:10 ..... Turn up the sound,.....