Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Degenerative carpal hyperextension

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Caro, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Here's another disease that our Collie breeds are prone to - degenerative carpal hyperextension. It shows as a kind of dropped, curved look to the front legs (until it drops altogether). I had no idea it was most common in Collies/Shelties, thought it was something little dogs with short legs got. I'd heard of it in agility injuries, but didn't know it could be age related.

Anyway, reason I now know about it is because Deska has it. Possible due to years of poor gait from his elbow arthritis; or maybe he's just a badly put together dog - dysplasia, arthritis, skin problems, anxiety and now this. With the carpal issues his paws have been spreading so now parts of the pad that are usually on the inside are now touching the ground so he's been limping quite badly because of how tender it is.

It's amazing the difference between Deska and Tully. Only 6mths apart in age but Deska is old, Tully has the energy of a puppy (albeit with a titanium hip). It's so heart-breaking when our pups get old.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sorry to hear about this new issue with Deska:hugs

3. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    So sorry to hear about this. It's heartbreaking when multiple problems hit one dog. It somehow seems particularly unfair since they are so innocent :(

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Caro,
    So sorry to hear about Deska's newest challenge. Yes, it is so sad watching them grow old - Ally had multiple problems her last 8 months or so and it was such a challenge balancing all her needs with keeping her comfortable for as long as possible. I had never heard of this problem in Shelties or Collies. :((

He's a lucky guy to have you in his corner though as you negotiate this new development. Is there any treatment or way to alleviate his soreness?