Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Digging

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Pam, May 12, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, now that Beau is doing better with outside animals, he has come up with a new behavior: digging. He did this some last summer when he was a pup but really not a lot and had one or two special spots he liked to dig. This spring he digs everywhere and if I leave him for 10 minutes I can be assured he has dug at least 2 new, fairly deep holes. We have a very small yard so it is dangerous to leave the holes and frustrating to constantly fill. I don't think it can be boredom because he gets daycare 2 days/week, training 2 days/per week, an hour play time in the AM, at least one daily training session, and an hour or more walk at night. He just likes to dig--especially soft, moist or wet dirt. I am preparing a dirt sandbox for him but not convinced that will work. Any suggestions?

Owned by Beau, Just turned 14 months!

2. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    The only time Phoebe digs is when she smells gopher.

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I think he smells either rabbits (and a rabbit hole--which I am sure what started it last year as we had tiny bunnies) or some other critter. He was fascinated with digging up a grub. LOL

4. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Both of mine went through a digging stage when young. One was easier to discourage from it than the other. We ended up getting a sand box for Honey because we saw how she especially loved digging in sand at the beach. I really think it cured her of digging in the yard, but then she seemed to grow out of digging all together after a while. I don't think it's a boredom thing for all dogs, some just seem to find it really really fun!

5. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon doesn't dig outside, but he does do the digging motion on out bed sometimes. Recently he's started to "bury" Lee's sleep shorts in the blankets at the foot of the bed.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie dug with great pleasure the first 2 years when we stayed at the cottage, it helped a little that she got a big sandbox with beach sand.
    So that she would not dig into the ground, I put an old plastic tabletop at the bottom :biggrin2:

Now she love to dig on the beach when she runs around.
    Suddenly she becomes "over happy", so she digs more holes and runs from one to the other.

Perhaps the digging delivers a bit drain of stress

7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My first rescue liked to dig and I got chicken wire placed under the spots where he would dig. As soon as he hit it he stopped as he did not like the feeling on his paws. Never had a problem again!

8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I don't think the chicken wire would do it as he moves from spot to spot...most of them are in a line, which is why I suspect old rabbit hole. But when I discourage him in one spot he gladly moves to another. I would have to chicken wire my whole yard.

Does anyone think a sandbox with dirt would do it? Or should I try sand? He has only been to the beach once.

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    "when I discourage him in one spot he gladly moves to another"

I can easily remember this from Minnie's digging time. :lol::lol:

Your fur baby is still a puppy, so keep out. :biggrin2:

10. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Our thinking was that our yard-digging dog would learn that sand was ok for digging whereas dirt was not, but it might just be a case of the dog learning that the sandbox is ok for digging (whatever it holds) and everywhere else is off limits... I'm no expert though :)