Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Digging

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Pam, May 12, 2017.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey likes to help me dig when I am gardening, and whenever she wants to dig in the yard I point her at weed patches and tell her dig. Now she knows the command and if I tell her to stop she does. (I think it gets less fun once we're trying to direct it) I suspect a sandbox will do pretty well to help control the digging, especially if you happen to bury a few treats for him to dig up.

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby liked to dig when she was a puppy and them she stopped.....until this year at the age of 7. We moved last year and the new house is in a wooded area. I know that she is trying to dig to get to the chipmunks, and I think she digs looks for bugs. We didn't have chipmunks and we had very minimal bugs at our old house. Now she digs like crazy then goes in the fish pond for a drink of water!

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I was wondering how related high prey drive and digging are. Beau is certainly much, much higher prey drive than Shadow (my angel sheltie) was. His trainer said his prey drive is something we will be working on his whole life. I'm hoping to take him to some herding classes and maybe redirect that energy. Not sure though because herding is not something I would be able to keep up....I live too far away for any practical purpose.

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    If I could point to a spot and let Clara dig, I could earn a ton of money renting her out as a hole digger! And it seems her boy Rocket takes after her in that respect. I'd never thought of chicken wire or a sand box. They just have a few spots where they do this, so I let them. Then I fill it up. And mine don't do it where there is grass. Only fresh dirt.

I also can't plant small plants in Clara's yard. I can plant dahlias or roses. But those little things that come in the four packs that you can put on a flat- nope. I plant them. She waits until my back is turned and she pulls them right out of the ground. But I CAN plant seeds. Not sure how her little head works.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Pam - Beau your puppy's name ? - Is only one year and still a puppy

When Minnie was 1 year her Duracell batteries were still 100% and full speed forward
    - and when she was about 2 years they were about 75% :gaah
    - now that she is approaching 3, I have seen her on-off button actually starts to work.
    It can also be said, that she is always ready to start a party:pop so happy, confident, sweet and not least she is very obedient

-We have always talked about things and I just need to tell her 1-2 times if she does something that I do not find in order.

For some of us, we have - every time - forgotten what it is to have a puppy :biggrin2:

- and this puppy time is just something that has to be overcome for more of us, but also an very, very important time that forms the basis for the next 15 years (I hope) :hugs

Pam likes this.