Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Digging!!!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Jams, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Out of the many dogs I've had I never had a "digger". Toby, now at 17 weeks, loves to dig holes in the yard! Living in Florida we are able spend a lot of time outside on the lanai and in the yard. Because my back yard doesn't have real grass, most of what's green dies off for the winter. Now Toby and my big girl, Shannon, run and play and zoom around the yard every day so there's a lot of dirt out there making it even easier for Toby to dig. He's so fast that he can make a good sized hole before I can get there to stop him. Saying NO isn't working. Toby thinks it's all a big game!
    So, does anybody have any advice for me and Toby's digging?? Thank you and I am grateful for any help!!

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I only had one sheltie that started to di in my yard... I put chicken wire in the areas he wanted to dig in. He hated the feel of it on his paws and soon stopped. That would only work on the holes he already started...

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :lol::lol:
    It was a huge game for Minnie too
    - she could run from one hole to another - for her it was simply the funniest, but definitely not for me :no:

I made a big sand box - with sand from the beach where she dug so it stood around her ears :biggrin2:
    It reduced some of her other holes.

Almost from one day to another it stopped - belive around 1½ -2 y

Now she only digs when she makes fun at the beach :yes:

When I had my last GSD, I put cement tiles over each new hole and finally the lawn was full of tiles:cry:
    This also stopped suddenly.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau has had a digging fetish. I tried chicken wire, I tried putting together a sand box, I tried creating a digging area--nothing worked. Only thing that ha sort of worked is re-direction. Sooo, I just keep a huge bag of top soil and fill holes each time they get dug. It has let up a bit and although I have lots of "brown" spots everywhere, just getting less uptight about it has helped. Good luck.

5. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    [QUOTE= Only thing that ha sort of worked is re-direction.
    Thanks, Pam, I have a feeling redirection will be my key. I forgot to mention he was also digging in my flower pots. I finally partially covered the top of the pots with a brick or rock so there was really no place to dig. He's left them alone since then. Not a very attractive look but hopefully temporary! Also if there was really grass growing out there I wonder if he'd still be digging? Well, I might not find that out till spring! Sigh

6. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks, Hanne!

Hanne likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    The only one of my girls who loved to dig was Asta as a pup. I have lots of pots with plants and she would dig those up too - made me pretty mad. I had to finally put chicken wire barriers around my pots (they were all in one area). She loved to dig up the gopher holes, too. She did finally grow out of it but I don't remember how long it took. I read somewhere that you can fill balloons with water to put in their holes and cover it up with dirt - if they pop the balloons and get sprayed they may think twice about doing it. Dunno if it works.

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Never heard of the water balloons. My crazy girl would love that and then dig around looking for more (this is the dog that jumps in our fish pond all the time).

Shelby used to dig a lot when she was a pup but has out grown it for the most part. Now she just digs trying to get to the chipmunks. And for whatever reason she loves to dig when we go camping. I don't understand why, but I remember my mother-in-laws poodle also would only dig when camping.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    And when we all have spent a lot of time and found on all these strange things :biggrin2:

- then the puppy has become so big that the digging is on the way back. :lol::lol::lol::lol: