Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you give heartworm medicine?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by melbell, Jul 29, 2014.

Do you give heartworm medicine?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    So, we are going to be moving in two weeks back to PA. I always gave Ruutu Trifexis because of us living in the swamp area of NC. Honey got Trifexis once moving down here, but never did before. I was curious to how many people give heart worm protection and where you live. I am debating whether to continue their dosages or to discontinue them.

2. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    We live in western NY, I give Trifexis year round. But, I am thinking about only doing it for part of the year... one more thing to add to my list of things to chit chat with the vet about. I know they will have us do a test before going back on in the spring.

His breeder, in the Finger Lakes region, if I remember correctly, does not treat for heart worm.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I give heartworm meds but every six weeks, not every four. Veterinary research shows that it's effective for that long and not necessary to dose every four weeks. I discontinue it from December to March when it's cold here in the Northeast.

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Thanks for mentioning the off months Ann, I wasn't sure what they actually were, and I will ask to about the 6 weeks vs 4 weeks thing too.

And when I said his breeder doesn't treat heartworm... I meant they don't give preventatives... big difference I guess :eek:

5. Jess041

Jess041 Premium Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm in Texas. I give Trifexis year-round.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Heartgard all year. We tested for MDR1

7. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    See down here I gave it all year long. But up there I don't know if it's necessary or if I can skip winter months then restart it but you have to get tested then don't you?

8. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    Eastern PA here. I give Interceptor year-round.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Good info Ann. We have no winter to speak of so we are year-round. Would love to increase the scheduling. I do flea/tick every 5 weeks because they also said it lasts longer than a month. Maybe I shall move the HW to a 5 week schedule. It makes a difference in the course of a lifetime.

Of course, right now we are on a "deworming" use too as the pup came with a belly full of large roundworms and I am routing out everyone until another fecal proves I got them all.

10. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I currently give Trifexis once a month and then both of mine wear tick collars. Trifexis covers fleas for me though.