Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you use Advantage Multi on your Shelties?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by R&D'sMom, Apr 5, 2011.

1. R&D'sMom

R&D'sMom Forums Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    TN
    We moved from FL to TN and finally found a vet we like. She also works with my horse so she does house calls which makes life easier on everyone.

Here's my issue - when I met with her without the pups (yes, I'm one of those dog moms who have to meet with a vet first before they get to work with my babies!) she mentioned using Advantage Multi as a heartworm/flea control med. I mentioned to her that two of my dogs were Shelties and would this be an issue with them a la Heartguard or other ivermectin based drugs. She said no.

Fast forward to today where she came out and vaccinated everyone and was just great all around. I decided to give the Advantage Multi a try. I asked again about the ivermectin issue and she said no worries. After she left I was going over the package and of course I see where there can be issues for "avermectin sensitive dogs, including Collie and Collie crosses."

I called her immediately and she said it was more of a cover your butt issue and it shouldn't be a problem with my guys provided they don't lick each other.

*sigh* So now I don't know what to do - I'm not really comfy using this on them but part of me thinks I may be overly paranoid. I hate that I just spent $90 on something I didn't better research myself. I guess I can always use this on our non-Shelties. I think Advantage Multi would be great if it doesn't pose an issue for them but no way do I want to put them in harm's way.

So that's why I'm here - do any of you use this on your Shelties? I realize I can also have them tested for the MDR-1 gene and we may go ahead and do that as well - actually, I just ordered the testing kits!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa & Rupert & Duncan

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Give it back. Stick with Interceptor, we know it works. That's another one my vet doesn't offer at all. He doesn't trust it.

Avermectin is pesticide, similar to Ivermectin that MDR-1 dogs are sensitive to. I think it's used by commercial pesticide companies for home use. In theory, the dosing is low enough to not cause a reaction. In reality, you are putting a toxic pesticide onto the skin of your dog, anything can happen. I bet the directions say to wash your hands thoroughly after applying... Hmm...

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Clantyre. Don't take the chance. I do know people who have had problems with Advantage. It's not one I would use.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My vet will not use Advantage, he also just uses Interceptor.

Why use something where there is a chance of having a problem, when there is a product available that is just as effective?

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    generally, I don't like the spot treatments. we also use Interceptor :yes:

6. sheltiemom4

sheltiemom4 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2011
    Middletown, OH
    I've read everyone else's comments, but, I wanted to tell you that I've used Advantage Multi for 4 yrs on my 3 dogs and have NEVER had a problem. I like the thought of heartworm and flea control in one dose and I just put in on in the evening before I crate them and it's dry in the morning. However, I was NOT aware there is an issue with it! I definitely will discuss it with my vet at my next visit......:eek2:

7. R&D'sMom

R&D'sMom Forums Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    TN
    Angie, I noticed on the back of the box and in the insert it says this:

Well, bugger, it's not cut and pasting since it's a PDF. Here's a link to the PDF from the Bayer folks: http://www.bayerdvm.com/Resources/Docs/AdvMulti_Dog_041610.pdf

The warnings are on the left side of the document. On the right side they showed two studies done with proven avermectin sensitive collies. Taking the Advantage Multi dermally at 3 and 5x the normal level caused no issues. Taking it orally at just 40% the minimum dose caused issues however.

So what I'm seeing is it's fine if they don't ingest it - my vet (who is awesome in every way) really didn't see an issue unless I thought the boys would be all over each other and I don't think they would.

Still debating - any other experiences with Advantage Multi out there?

Thanks for everyone's input thus far - it is much appreciated!

8. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    I'm sorry,but I have to disagree with some here.I have used advatage Multi,and also Revolution.Advantage Multi is a newer product than Revolution,but for our 4 here,I love both of these products.
    I had a year supply of Revolution,when I ran out I consulted with our vet about Advantage Multi. He uses it also on his 2 shelties,and gave it a paws up on how it works.

I really hate that this thread is going to probably turn into this "ivermectin" do this..do that.
    If you read any medical journals or tests that have been done,the ivermectin would have to be ridiculous high amounts,I mean you would have to overdose your dog to get a terrible reaction.

I don't want to sound rude,but both of these products are good products,and I think you need to really do some research on both.(Revolution & Advantage Multi)
    I have 4 very heathy dogs,one with genetic faults.I have not had 1 issue with the product.

9. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    THANK YOU!!! Well said!

I know we all love our dogs,and some get all antsy yadayada over ivermectin,and thier heads start spinning.Really,folks..trust your vets,do the research,.Have your dog tested if you feel better about it.Like I said I had no qualms about using this product on any of my dogs,And that includes Mia.

If these product are applied PROPERLY....and I stress that,you will have no problems.The solution MUST be applied on the skin,not the hair.The coat must be parted,right past the undercoat,and applied either in a long path,or in one spot.I tend to use the path method.
    It does take longer to aplly,but at least I know the medicine will disperse compleltely all thru the coat & skin.

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I agree. I do trust my vet and I did my research and it can be scary. My vet will not use the advantage/revolution. He doesn't even carry it in his office because of the possible side effects, so it isn't really an issue for me.