Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do your Shelties 'pass wind'

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Caro, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Just at the pet shop and was having the sort of conversation you could only have in a pet shop - farting pets.

Everyone else said their dogs were always farting, one women looking after her daughter's 3 labs said they are stinking her home out with the smell. But my dogs rarely fart, Tully actually runs away from her butt and stares at it if she ever releases gas, that's how little it happens. So I wondered if it's what they get fed (the other people were buying low grade food) or if it's because they eat slowly. Or whether Shelties are just too beautiful to pass wind.

I'm plumping for the latter.

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie farted with smell so terrible when I got her, she was fed ½ barf and ½ dry feed from breeder

I did not barf - and when she had eaten her little bag of dry food

- I changed Brand - She stopped farting (I have not heard or smelled anything since) :wink2:

Since then, I have changed feed marks a few times always grain free.
    but her stomach was slightly up and down, then tried to buy with grain and it seemed to help a little :yes:

She still swallows her food - Not good to look at :no:

But farts does she still not. :biggrin2:
    In return she makes a huge burp :hide

RikyR likes this.
  3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu very rarely farts, more so since we switched him off kibble. He does give us a load burp after he eats. I take it as "complements to the chef"!

tesslynn likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, my boys have been known to pass gas!

Logan is the main culprit as he eats so fast I think that causes it. Laddie does from time to time... not too often thank goodness as they are smelly! Have to put the ceiling fan on to dissipate the smell!

Thank goodness not a ongoing issue...

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    My girls are highly spoiled- they basically eat what I eat/cook, but when they really like whatever was served. Both will come to me and burp. Kaleigh likes to get right up in my face and burp. I think it is her goofy way of letting me know she really liked the meal. The only time my girls "let loose" is during really intense doggie dreams. Their paws are going, their snouts are snarling, and the air around them suddenly gets pungent:eek::oops::Vomit:

RikyR and Hanne like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thanks Ricky, I've never thought so :no:
    - of course Minnie sees me as a great chef :biggrin2:

RikyR likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska gives a burp too, usually right in my face. That's a complement I'd rather not get though.

tesslynn likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm cracking up at this post!! :lol: None of my girls (5 over 30 years) have been farters, thank God! My friend's German Shorthair Pointer once came over to visit and absolutely gassed us out of our own living room! We literally had to leave the room and then put the dog outside in the backyard!

Faith also inhales her food but it doesn't seem to affect her other than the occasional burp. And yes she likes to do that right in your face if possible. :rolleyes2:

Hanne likes this.
  9. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Cleo has once... and it scared her.. When she did, she had no idea what happened to her butt. She panicked and ran away from it. HAHA Relic had really bad gas. It was the silent but deadly kind. And he usually did it right as we were going to sleep. Found out it was his food. He was on Blue Buffalo when we got him. I switched his food and the problem disappeared. :ROFLMAO:

tesslynn and Hanne like this.
  10. dkean

dkean Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    Amber has never done either. The sheltie we had back in the sixties never did either.