Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does kibble spoil?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Rileys mom, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Once opened how long does kibble usually last before spoiling?

This weekend I was talking to a raw food representative about kibble and she was saying that once opened (unless it gets frozen) the kibble only lasts for 2 weeks before going rancid. It makes sense that it could go bad, it is just something I hadn't thought about before. Has any one had any experience with that happening?

I normally buy a 12lb bag which lasts over 2 months but I am wondering if I should start buying a smaller bag as to not have kibble sitting around for to long. I have a container that I fill with 5lbs of food and it is in the house but the rest of the food gets kept in the bag in a container in the garage. I don't have a problem with doing that when it is cold out but in the summer I wonder how the heat affects the kibble.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes, it goes rancid. Buy a smaller bag and keep the whole bag in a container in the house (don't pour it out into the container).

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Yes it will go rancid but if its properly stored it will keep for up to a month. I buy a 15 lb bag and it will feed my 3 for about a month. I good air tight container you can fit the bag in is what you should store it in.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    2 weeks is just ridiculous. Sounds like scare-mongering. I'd be worried about any other claims made by someone who makes statements like that.

Kibble will last a long time. It is designed to do that. If it is going off in two weeks then you need to take it back to the manufacturer for a refund. They would be required by law to state to be used within 2 weeks of opening if it goes rancid in that date. Just keep it in an air-tight environment to keep it fresh for longer. My dogs only get a small amount of kibble, so a bag lasts me 6 months or longer, it mostly stays in a plastic container. I've had kibble for a year that hasn't gone rancid. For my cats I buy a month's supply at a time, but the dental kibble they get sparingly will also last for several months, in the bag it came in.

Kibble has a better storing capacity (because it's generally coated) than the dried treats you buy for your dog, which also last longer than 2 weeks. Think of it like nuts. As long as you keep them out of the air they won't get the mould spores on them and will last a long time.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with Caro. If properly stored, kibble should not go bad unless there's a problem with the product. I also buy a 15 lb bag, but I use several different kinds for my five so those bags last me about two months, or a bit longer. I've never had a problem with it spoiling. There should also be a "use by" date on your kibble bag which will give you an idea of how long it's good.

I keep our kibble in the original bag inside a small aluminum garbage can which seals tightly in my basement, which is cool and dry, and fill the containers I use daily upstairs from there.

You might also call the company that makes the kibble you use and ask them how long it can be stored for once opened. I doubt they'd tell you two weeks. It sounds to me like the raw food rep was trying to scare you into using her product.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Totally agree on both of these points.

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Ditto on the "two weeks is ridiculous". I have never had kibble spoil and typically a large (40 lb.) bag gets used up in about 5-6 weeks in our multi dog household.

Trini

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    A 30# bag lasts about 6 weeks or so in our 2 dog household. I have never had kibble go bad on us, but once it's opened we keep it in the house.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Where I live, the thought of storing extra in the garage is not feasible. Our garages reach 100+ daily.

No, two weeks is ridiculous though.

10. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Kibble lasts a long time, true, but still there is a reason to limit time the time bags are stored. Perhaps they were stored by a company beforehand in open barrels. And perhaps those white moths got into the grain storage. (I've seen them flying between bins at feed stores where the kibble is in open containers.) Well you can guess the results after a bit of time. (Many years ago when someone was using one of those feed store open-bin-kibbles and the kibble was old--I got to see what happens. Eeeww. So if a bag of kibble has webbing in it--throw it out!)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015