Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Doggy Door

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Melissa Howarth, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Melissa Howarth

Melissa Howarth Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2017
    Hi fellow Sheltie Owners!

I'm getting a doggy door that tunnels through the house. My Jake is not aggressive and would not push open a door that has much resistance. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand?

Regards

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have a doggy door in my back door. I have no idea what brand it is- I got the door and the doggy door from Lowes and the installation guys put both in. After the door was installed, we measured where to put the doggy door into the back door and it turned out just right:yes:

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    If you think he'll have trouble with the flap (as many dogs do), look at the doors with a soft flap. When I got mine I installed one with a hard flap and Deska wouldn't go through it, so I had to replace the hard flap with thick plastic, I did try to put the hard flap back in but have a cat that won't use the hard flap so I'm stuck with replacing the plastic regularly - which lets in the cold wind. That's the flap in the backdoor, the one in the sliding door is hard plastic and Deska will only go out it and not come back inside, while my Burmese won't use it at all. My mum just installed a soft flap dog door for while my dogs live with her and Deska happily goes in and out it. And the soft flap door has a magnetic closure so doesn't blow around on a windy day like my self-installed piece of plastic flap.