Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dragging hind leg

Discussion in 'General Health' started by k9kreationz, Apr 4, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hi everyone,

Just to preface this story a bit....

A while back, BF gave Koji some weed and continues to give him a bit sometimes (we're worried that it helps with some sort of pain Koji doesn't show because Koji really really really loves the stuff, so we continue to do it). He gave some to him on Sunday evening, then Monday morning (I'll explain more below). It's been 24 hours since he's gotten any and at the amounts we give him, it's usually out of his system in about 4-6 hours.

So, yesterday morning, Koji was being super clingy. Don't get me wrong, he's always clingy, but this was more like, you left the room, he follows and whines. That's when BF gave him some weed, but he was still whiny/clingy. I was at home with a migraine so he got his cuddle time for a bit. We slept until I went to work around 1pm.

When I took him out in the evening, I noticed he was dragging his rear left paw. Usually, he's still not high after 10 hours, but if the stuff was super strong, he could be. So I gave it 24 hours. He's still dragging his paw this morning and can't squat really because it's like he doesn't have the muscle to hold himself up. It doesn't look any worse, but definitely not any better. Watching him poop broke my heart. :(

ETA: He just got up and then wouldn't walk when I took him to the bedroom. Ugh. And as I was talking to BF, I felt his hip area and it's warm compared to the rest of his body. Inflammation I would think. :( Poor Koji!

I took this photo yesterday evening after our short walk. Do you see how his backend is sloping? Sooo not good. I moved his leg, felt around, put pressure, he didn't wince, react, anything.

I don't even know what to do at this point. It's like, he's himself (eating grass, eating junk on the ground, barking at dogs, excited for breakfast), except that he's being clingy and has a bum leg. I want to say it reminds me of someone having a stroke. Sigh. I'm assuming he's still not high, he's alert and awake, but he lies down and doesn't want to move.

I don't want to go to the vet, but you know I will.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Take him to the vet ASAP!

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Yes, he needs to go to the vet today.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Oh no! Let us know what the vet says. It sounds serious.

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Oh jeez. Not good. BF says he kinda remembers rolling over in bed and he thinks Koji crashed to the floor. Maybe he pulled something. Dangit! Darn these stoic dogs. Sigh. I'll see if I can get an appointment. I had some anti-inflammatories from before that were still good so I gave him one. Hopefully that helps a bit today.

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Okay, I took him to the vet. I swear, every time I'm ready to pay off his previous bill, something comes up. Augh!

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I took him to the vet. Wow, they're fast. I just heard from the vet. He said his nerves aren't firing correctly in his rear right leg and not at all on his left (proprioception deficit). He was saying the best course would to get a CT scan, but that's super expensive, so I'm going for xrays to make sure there are no fractures. If it's a disc, then the vet is suggesting 2 weeks of "quiet" for it to heal or maybe swelling go down. I have no idea what happened. I wonder if this did happen when Koji got pushed off the bed by the BF. Ugh.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, all I can say is no more sleeping on the bed if this could be the result!

Glad he got to see the vet.

The wonderful thing is... these days they can offer human grade health care! The bad news is not everyone can afford it!

My boy had a similar issue and two week of total restrictions of movement allowed him to heal. When he went out it had to be on a leash. If we spent any length of time outside he was in a small x-pen where he could only take a few steps.

Hope rest and recuperation does the trick!

9. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I would also suggest in the future that you not give Koji any medication, either grass or the anti-inflammatories, without express permission for your vet first. Medications can act differently in humans and dogs -- and can gain or lose potency over time.

10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Oy! Is that what "keep quiet" means? Not even normal walking? Yikes. I just thought it meant no playing, running, jumping, etc. If that's what that means, I may need to crate him. Yikes.

How's your boy now? Doing well I hope?