Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dragging hind leg

Discussion in 'General Health' started by k9kreationz, Apr 4, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Just an FYI. the anti-inflammatory was a previous prescription and it wasn't that old, so that was fine. My vet did say not to use anymore as it can interact with the steroids. As for the weed, honestly, if it helps with any pain, I'll happily give it to my dog.

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My only caution would be that sometimes pain is useful. If the pain is being masked by the weed, he could be walking around on an injury and making it worse because the pain is being masked. Just something to keep in mind. I'm not saying it's ok to allow your dog to suffer, but just make sure he's not ultimately making things worse.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Since you live in Oregon where pot's legal, please at least talk to your vet about the proper dose. i live in Colorado, and there's bee lots of cases of dogs/cats dying from getting into their owner's stash, or their owners accidentally overdosing their pets and causing problems.

4. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Oh, I totally agree. I'm talking more about chronic pain. As my BF says, his back hurts all the time, but smoking pot takes the edge off. And with Koji, I wouldn't give him that right now, even with a pain killer, he thinks he can walk normally and wants to get out of his crate. But poor thing, nope, because as you said, the drugs are masking the pain and so he could hurt himself again. No worries. I have my own pain, so I know how to deal with it, especially since he can't tell me when he is in pain.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    You can't lethally overdose on pot. So, if any animals died because of pot, it was due to other reason (like suffocating on their own vomit, dehydration, hypothermia, etc). But if the owners had found the pet and took care of it, it would have lived. It's the same thing with humans. Humans can't lethally overdose on pot, but y'know, get into a car and drive...well, that can kill you. But it's not the pot that killed, it was the fact that they got into the car and drove.

I also don't believe vets really know much about pot and animals. Very few studies have been done on humans; can't imagine there are any on dogs. And with all the different types of strains and THC levels, and the fact that no one strain will affect every human the same, I'm sure that all goes for dogs too. Don't worry, I'm safe about it. And I've beat it into BF too (regarding anything since he's not used to having dogs that will eat anything they think is edible).

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I was thinking about getting Koji a Thundershirt (just in general, but also for this). I was hoping it would make him feel more secure being crated since he loves snuggling and when the drugs stop making him tired, he's going to be a total PITA. BUT, I don't want him to associate it with being hurt or confined. Thoughts? I could put it on when we go for our potty walks (freedom) and when he eats (yummy time) and go from there.

Also, do you guys think I should try to stay home with him on Thursday? BF is home tomorrow, so we can still keep an eye on him. I'm assuming he'd sleep, but being crated all day/night might make him crazy. Thoughts?

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Sorry, but that's wrong, dogs can and do die from THC toxicosis. From research - "The minimum lethal oral dose for dogs for THC is 3 g/kg" (J Comp Anim Med 2013). Remember THC nowadays is quite high, esp in hydroponically grown cannabis and some distillate forms. While most dogs probably do recover from THC toxicosis, there are dogs who die.

Have a read of this vet article http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/July-2011/Treating-Marijuana-Toxicity/

Please be careful, some of the symptoms you mention can also be symptoms of THC toxicity.

If you are introducing any sort of medicinal product to a dog you need to do it very carefully and with proper monitoring and evaluation.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  8. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I've read a lot. Koji injested a lot of pot once (accidentally) and I did my research and even called my vet. As most things say, with proper care, they recover fully.

Read this article.
    http://www.alternet.org/drugs/can-marijuana-kill-your-dog

As I said, almost all dogs don't die of eating bud. I'm not going to say all. Most die due to other things.

My point being, if you read almost all the studies, they can't actually say ingesting X grams is toxic as there are so many variables. And reading only 4 of the studies connected to your link, and other links to those studies, no dogs died of only cannabis ingestion.

I am in no way saying people should just give their dogs pot and go to work, but if you give them stuff, you need to evaluate their reaction to it and keep an eye on them, just in case. I'm all for medical marijuana. Just be responsible.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Research aside, let's have some common sense, folks. You can find research supporting anything if you look hard enough. This ranks in the same ball park as giving a dog beer or other alcohol. It's dangerous for the dog, period. You don't know what the long term results could be. Take it yourself if you want to, but don't inflict it on your dog!

Hannah likes this.
  10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I will agree to disagree with those of you who posted. Me being me, I'd rather be honest about the situation, give you all the details (like I did with my vet), and find an answer, versus lying, or worse, lying to avoid conflict. Many of you know me and know that I would never harm my dogs in any way, so the fact that you felt the need to "educate" me, yes, I found it offensive and I became defensive. I always do my due diligence about anything/everything I give my dogs (I've already talked to my vet 4x about small things, just to be sure). Maybe this was the wrong forum to be honest in.....I didn't think so.....but maybe it is; I know how passionate we all can be for dog safety. Therefore, I will no longer be posting about cannabis as I can see this topic is as explosive as "recreational/medical marijuana" is for humans. I appreciate the concern.