Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dry/Scabby Skin Around Nose

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by corbinam, Dec 1, 2017.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I noticed when we got back from vacation that Bentley (10) had some dry skin around his nose. It’s that pink area under his nose but above his mouth, if that makes sense. In the past year it has lost hair and gotten pinker but it seemed just sort of age-related and I didn’t worry about it (he has also seen a vet in the past month and though I didn’t mention it, he received a clean bill of health).

However, it got really dry and skin started peeling off. It’s now a little scabby looking (but seems to be scabbing over and falling off in a somewhat healthy way?) I should note he doesn’t seem bothered by it in the least.

The only thing I can figure is our pet sitter gives the dogs Kongs with peanut butter everyday, whereas I usually just do it a few times a week. Could it just be from over-nosing a Kong? Has anyone seen something like this before?

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I think you've solved the mystery, Ashley.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Pic? I would stop giving him a kong and see if it heals up. Glad it doesn't seem to bother him though!

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
  5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    A little. It’s not as scabby but still very dry. Super weird! Again, still doesn’t seem to bother him. Thanks for asking!

danisgoat likes this.