Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

E Collar flattened ears--advice?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Pam, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I have an 11 month old sheltie male who was in an accident and consequently had to wear an e collar for 7 weeks while his leg healed. He had perfect stand-up with 1/4 tipped ears prior to the collar and now his ears are further apart and one is flopped--hound-like. Is it too late to get them back to where they were? Also, he was great about ear cleaning before but has become more and more reluctant to have his ears touched, caressed or cleaned since. He is clear of infection--had him checked. Advice?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I wonder if something about the collar or the accident has made him ear-shy. I think the first thing you'd have to do is to accustom him to having his ears handled again. It would be tough to brace his ears if you can't handle them, and you don't want to make his ear phobia worse. Maybe touch his ears and treat for a few days to see if it helps.

At 11 months it can be tough to retrain ears, but that's not to say it isn't worth trying. One of my show dogs needed her ears in until she was 3! Dealing with hound ears is more difficult than fixing upright ears though. The only way to do that is with tape, tipping both ears to the correct set and bracing both ears together on top of his head (which will also pull them up so they aren't so far apart.) I'd do that for a month or two and see how they look. It's probably a two-person job if you have someone who can help hold him, once he'll let you handle them. Good luck, and I'm glad your boy is OK!

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Thanks, I will try that. He is fine--only leg laceration (thank goodness) but pretty bad one. All is healed and he is off e collar. He let's me touch his ears a tiny bit, I will touch and treat and see how that goes.

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Ok, Beau's ears are now perplexing. Attached are 3 photos, ears right before e collar, flattened ear right after e collar and current prick ear. So the flattened ear has become prick. What the heck? Lol He is not for conformation so I guess it shouldn't matter.
    https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/100134910507

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Pam - I canĀ“t see pic :no:

6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    See if you can see them now.

pix.sfly.com/g5SzMmSM

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I get a message that says Private Album, so I can't see either link, sorry!

8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    pix.sfly.com/g5SzMmSM

I made it public. Let me see if this works. Otherwise what is the best way to share photos?

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    OK, I could see the photos this time, Pam. I see what you mean about the one ear that's up. I would brace both ears again (you don't want to just do one) either with tape or glue, whatever is easiest for you to use. If he won't let you do that or won't keep them in, try weighting the one ear that's up to tip with some pure glycerin. You buy it at the pharmacy counter (they sometimes have to order it) because it has to be the pure stuff. Rub some on the inside and outside tip of the ear. Massage the ear over to bring it down. Do this daily or every other day. If the ear is really up, it may not work but if you want his ears to be uniform it's worth a try. Let us know what happens!