Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ear glue

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Crissikeke, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Crissikeke

Crissikeke Forums Novice

Jun 14, 2010
    Raceland, KY
    Any recommendations on the best kind of ear glue to use? I just brought home my sweet little 8 week old sable and white girl home. One of her ears is sticking up or turning to the side. Thanks all. I have spent hours on here and have really enjoyed reading. I am glad I found fellow sheltie lovers like myself.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    On our first dog we used Speed Sew.

Welcome to the forum!

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I tried every fabric glue I could get my hands on, including speed sew. In the end I found Tear Mender to be the best product.

Many people on the forum swear by Detachol to remove the glue when needed.

4. jsticca

jsticca Forums Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Central Florida
    I use speed sew and have been pretty happy with it from the perspective of staying together.

However, and maybe someone can comment on this, my puppy's ears seem to not be taking. I have been gluing them fro almost 3 months now (Oliver is 5 months old) and when I take the glue out, one ear is tipped correctly but the other is pricked.

Is this because he is not done teething yet? I'm not sure what else to do besides keep gluing them and hope that the other ear eventually stays down...

5. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    for the ears to "stay" tipped they usually have to be done for a year sometimes longer depends on the ear leather and if its thick or thin.
    I just Japanese tape for my ears, much easier than glue!!!! They go in and out in a flash with no fur loss...

6. jsticca

jsticca Forums Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Central Florida
    I've tried the Japanese ear tape and actually have a whole role of it! I used the alcohol to remove any oil/dirt from his ear first then applied it but as soon as I finished, Oliver would shake his head and it wouldn't stick.

If I did get it to stick, after about 10 minutes of him fussing it would finally come undone. Am I missing something?

7. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    I've been using Jiffy Sew,and have great luck with it.And use Detachol as the remover.Both of the products work well.

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    are his ears completely dry before applying the tape? That will effect the stickiness of it...I know when I rush and dont let it fully dry it wont stick well and I end up re-doing it....so I should learn to take my time and not rush...

When you apply the tape make sure you hold it on there for a usually a minute or so to heat up the tape so its sticks well to the ear.

9. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

Speed sew ( or any fabric glue you can find) and Detachol for removal. You might have to buy it online. Its not easy to find. I bought mine on eBay.

But as a newbie to gluing....have you checked all the threads yet on the trials and tribulations of gluing? When to start, how to glue, how long to glue? If you are not committed, save yourself the hassle. Gluing is a big comittment.

p.s. I'm in favour of gluing, but I'm one who didn't do so good!

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Emma's breeder suggested rubbing hand cream on inside of the ear where you want it to fold. She indicated this works well. She hates having to glue ears and breeds for them to tip. I had to glue Emma's ear down about at about four months for a couple of weeks and I had barely any glue on it. Poor puppy did not like the fussing. Both ears are now tipped. It was just the one that hadn't.