Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ear glue

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Crissikeke, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    If you are going to glue, I would start now. They will need to be glued in all likelyhood until she finishes teething, longer is you are going to show in conformation.

2. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I just glued her ears with Speed Sew. I didn't brace them though. I have to do more research on that first and I don't know how to do it just yet. When I picked Lacey up from the breeder he showed me how to glue them, but didn't say anything about bracing.

3. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I haven't ever braces Jades. I only glue them down. Hers sit really pretty on her head. So you may not have to brace!

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    This is how they looked this morning before I glued them. What do you think? she had just been playing in water. I have a water dish outside for both dogs, but only put a little water in as Lacey will walk into it to drink. At the very least she put's her front paws in and I don't want her to make a huge mess.
    If they do need to be braced I will need to have someone help me as I don't know how to do that.

Attached Files:

5. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
  6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I can send you the link to the method I am using with Baker - on Monday since I have it as a favorite on my work computer but not here at home. There are so many different ways to do tipping/bracing - even more opinions on whether or not to do it. I like what is working for me, Baker doesn't mind it at all unless I catch some hair under the tape.

I am looking forward to when Baker turns 6 months so I can stop bracing - that's the hardest to do. But I am happy with what his ears are doing, so, for me, it's worth it.

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Thank you. I feel like I am all sloppy fingers with this. I hope I can get it so she has pretty ears.

8. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I had a hard time with Justus ears, and using goo gone (suggested) to take out the japanese tape didn't seem right. Such a solvent can't be good for tender puppy skin. I let his ears go, and rightly so, his leathers were so short they couldn't tip. He has kitty kat ears .. :lol:

Since I want to show Flyer in UKC conformation - I want to try this again, this time with glue...

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    http://www.sweetcollies.com/NEWARRIVAL.html

This is what I am doing with Baker. I think his ears were sitting fairly low on his head so I decided to brace until he's around 6 months - then I will just tip them.

He is really suprisingly calm & quiet when I do this - not at all what I expected. Of course having yummy treats near by probably helps.

Lacey has so much going for her as far as looks go - you'll be fine no matter what (if anything) you decide to do.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I'm on the fence about bracing, but I do have her ears glued now. Thank you for the link. My daughter and husband think I'm a little nuts with this.

My daughter says I needed a baby too and that is why I got a puppy.