Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ear training

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Cleo2014, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    So Relic's ears came loose this weekend. I am leaving them unglued for a few days to see how they do. He has all of his adult teeth in now. And he is also 6 months 14 days old. I may end up gluing them back down because it may be too early to let them go. I have a feeling they are slowly creeping back up again. I hope they are looking okay though. What does everyone else think? I never knew how hard ear tipping actually was...

Relic25.jpg Relic26.jpg Relic27.jpg Relic28.jpg Relic29.jpg Relic30.jpg

ghggp and Vera Hallam like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    If not Relic was brown on his hind legs - I would believe it was Minnie - her ear look exactly like the ears on the pic. :yes:

Vera Hallam and Cleo2014 like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Relic's ears look good now, but they may not last. If you find they are creeping back up, put them back in. Six months is early for ears to be set. It usually takes up to a year before you can count on a puppy's ears staying put. I'd keep them in until at least 9 months. You're doing a great job with them though!

When you think they're about done and not going up, try using some pure glycerin on them. You will have to ask at the pharmacy counter for it. Just put a spot on the outside and inside tip of the ear. When the ears are nearly finished, this is enough to weight them over. Refresh it every other day or so. If you see them creeping up though, reglue or tape again.

Vera Hallam and Cleo2014 like this.
  4. Cleo2014

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    That's what I thought. A few of his litter mates have made it without glue for a few weeks now and I was curious to see how he would do since one of his ears came undone anyway. I will probably glue them in a day or two, maybe even sooner.

Vera Hallam likes this.
  5. Christopher Lanier

Christopher Lanier Forums Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Huntsville Alabama
    Looking good! At the behest of his breeder, who I now call "mom", I redid Fox's ears after about 3 weeks without. His were creeping back so I'm just going to play it safe and keep them going until june or so. We'll see.

Vera Hallam likes this.
  6. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

I've been having the same debate. Aiden is almost 7 months old and his ears are evenly tipped though in danger of going "hound", I think. Im thinking about bridging his ears again. I posted his photo today on another thread, do I wont repost to save space.

I had the same thought when I looked at Relics ears. Tipped but maybe too far apart???? Maybe bridgecthem only?

Vera Hallam likes this.
  7. Cleo2014

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I have not glued them back yet but yes, when I do I will be bracing them again to keep them from going hound. I was doing that before with the little piece of yarn I had but since he has more hair I don't think I will need it now.

Vera Hallam likes this.
  8. Vera Hallam

Vera Hallam Forums Regular

Feb 1, 2017
    Kitchener,On. Canada
    Is this ear gluing only for breeding or showing?
    Mandy's ears are straight up, like a shepherd.

9. Cleo2014

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Ear gluing is mainly for showing in conformation. It is considered part of the breed standard. However some people like the softer look of the tipped ears over the pricked ears. My older Sheltie has pricked ears. So if everything goes well with my younger Sheltie, then I will have Shelties with both pricked and tipped. I didn't do that with my first one because I didn't feel it was necessary. When I got my younger one from the breeder she had already started the tipping process so I just decided to keep up with it. It's been interesting. I also wanted at least one with tipped ears. I also wanted to add that neither one of my dogs do conformation. However they will both be doing agility!
    0225171053-747x1328.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    ghggp, Cara Sandler and Vera Hallam like this.
  10. Christopher Lanier

Christopher Lanier Forums Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Huntsville Alabama
    Purely for aesthetics. I was sort of against it at first, but after I realized that it doesn't hurt or bother my pup in the least bit, I decided he'd be cute with folded ears. But I'd love my boy if he were bald and ugly. He's a sweet good Foxy. ❤️

Vera Hallam and Hanne like this.