Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan not eating... sort of

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I sure will keep Edan in my prayers, it is so difficult when you can't find the cause. I hope the flagyl works and there will be on need for medication for life.

2. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Guess I should of finished the thread before I posted. I am so happy to hear that he is getting back to normal and I am sure you and your husband are relieved. Hopefully soon you can trasition to Blue.

3. Celtic Fire

Celtic Fire Forums Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's been back and forth with Edan since we last posted a couple weeks ago. Last Friday he finally turned his nose up and refused the Eagle Pack Holistic Duck kibble after doing pretty well with it for about a week. We were mixing some of the Blue Buffalo in with it and Thursday night and Friday morning he picked all the BB kibble out and ate it, while leaving the Eagle Pack behind.

So on Friday we switched him over, cold turkey, to the Blue Buffalo. Darned dog has got to eat. He threw up on Saturday and we were afraid it was all over but the shouting for the Blue Buffalo, but Edan kept on eating it, with some coaxing.

He had really loose stool Sunday and again on Monday, but we were expecting that and didn't make a big deal about it. Treated that with a Flagyl and he kept eating the Blue Buffalo food.

*knocks on wood*

Tuesday and this morning we've got solid stool. We've been adding some warm water to his food to soften it up a little, per the instructions on the bag and to help dilute it a little in his tummy I guess. We have our fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Flagyl, not Flagisil, hon. :wink2:

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Flagisil LOL I'll keep my fingers crossed that Edan continues to have solid stool and does well on BB.

6. Celtic Fire

Celtic Fire Forums Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You both knew what I was talking about. :D

7. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    Poor Edan.
    Hope that the current food selection continues to be well tolerated.

8. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Haha, I like Flagisil better :razz:. Here's praying for Edan that he's getting all better :wink2:

9. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Ugh... Edan continues to give us off and on trouble with eating, throwing up, and loose stool. I'm frustrated and tired of the on going problem but we'll find a solution eventually.

Last Thursday, Edan kept us up all night vomiting every 20 minutes or so.

Before going to bed Wednesday, I told my DH, Celtic Fire, I was going to go out and purchase the Chicken and Rice formula because I there was just something I didn't like. I couldn't quite put my finger on it 100%, all I had was that he was burpy, farty and you could hear his stomach gurgling most of the week; all signs of the excess gas we had with TOTW in late January/early February. He'd been on Blue Wilderness, a grain free formula from Blue Buffalo for about 3 weeks at this point.

By Friday morning, his tummy was completely empty but he kept throwing up. Taking a chance that it was just because his tummy was empty, I defrosted some of the boiled chicken I made for him a few weeks before (1 small piece of breast meat) and gave it to him slowly over the course of the morning. He devoured it and, thankfully, kept it all down.

So, once again we've done a "hard cut over" to yet another new food - the 4th since February. This time to the regular Blue Buffalo Adult formula; Chicken and Rice. We have a little bit of loose stool this morning (which we expected) but he isn't extra gassy or throwing up at this point.

Hopefully this will finally be the end of this.

10. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    You remember me telling you about Smudge? He had the same problem. The vet yanked him off of his TOTW, and now Smudge is on prescription dog food. It took two vets to decide that there was something wrong with his digestive tract. He was throwing up about once a day for a month, and I was only able to get about 1/2 a cup of dog food a day into him, and that was with constant begging, hand feeding (he HATES being hand fed). He was even refusing chicken. At one point he was puking up blood, and the vet said it was because his stomach was empty and the acid in his stomach was eating blood vessels.

What was worrying me was that Smudge was on three different medications and STILL throwing up. All of the medicines were only to treat the puking, and not any other problem.

The vets took him off all medicines (except heartworm and flea), and put him on prescription dog food. The ingredients are horrible, but if it's horrible ingredients or a starving dog......

Here is what Smudge is on. You might ask your vet about it.

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/CanineProductDetail.aspx?prod=222

He will not touch the dry formula (I found this out after paying $64 for an 18 pound bag :dead:), but he does love the canned. Online it lists the cans as being $2.99 each, but I get them at the vet's office for about $1.80 each plus tax.