Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Elevated beds

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by SheepOfBlue, Jul 22, 2017.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Does anyone have an elevated bed and does your Sheltie like it?

We miss Sca terrible, but well he was a bed eater so Spitfire could never have beds. He liked a Kong bed I had when he was a puppy but well it got eaten LOL. In the winter he lays on towels that I use to dry their feet. But with the heat I figure he might like an elevated bed for the cool.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I know people whose dogs love elevated beds, especially for outside or in hot weather. Unfortunately, mine want nothing to do with them. I have more beds in my house than shoes (and that's saying something) but everyone's favorite is one I found on Overstock.com for $20! I can't belive how good a bed it is...washable, orthopedic foam and raised. All the dogs rush to get to it first. I had to buy one for downstairs and one for upstairs. It's a nice, cool fabric so good for warm weather. I have one in Medium and one in Large. https://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppl...BGCNPNXMD3E&searchidx=3&keywords=&refinement=

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep kind of wondering if Spitfire would trust it. I figure it would either be the devil or he would love it. He loved the Kong until Sca ate it but then it was winter.

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ann, maybe it's an indoor/outdoor thing?

Mom's Shelties LOVE the "cot" beds, the ones made of PVC pipe and mesh. However, her dogs spend the days outside in gravel pens (when the weather is nice), and so the cots a) keep them from having to lay on the stones and b) provide airflow underneath.

Inside the house, she has an assortment of regular, "poufy" dog beds, which the dogs also like (but different dogs like different beds more than others). I have no idea if the dogs would choose a cot in lieu of the poufs, if one was brought inside.

I have had dogs who just aren't fond of beds, and dogs who needed a bed in every room so they could go from pouf to pouf. Sheep, since Spitfire is an all-indoor dog, perhaps you could start with a softer bed (instead of a cot) and see if he likes it. Even though it is hot right now, it just gives him another lounging option.

Funny story: when I first had Betty Cocker, I splurged and bought her a big, round pouf from Orvis. (I LOVE this bed; it is made tough and is very washable - yes, I paid more, but it's built to last.) When it first arrived, she wouldn't go near it! I would toss cookies onto it, and she'd oblige, but then hop right back off. It was very disappointing.

Fast-forward a few months, and Mr. Tofupup and I are getting ready to move halfway across the country. As our time there wound down, we were getting rid of things we weren't going to take along... in particular, the hand-me-down sofa. With no sofa to sit on, I started sitting on the dog's bed in the evenings (because she sure wasn't using it.)

Wouldn't you know it, after I had sat/laid/lounged on that big dog bed for a few evenings, Betty Cocker decided that it was awfully nice! She loves her bed now.

So Sheep, maybe Spitfire will just need to you provide a demonstration!

Ann and SheepOfBlue like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Do not think Minnie would like such one.
    I've never had one to any of my dogs, the biggest hit has been a huge pillow with Krøyer balls, even Minnie thought it's a hit in our bedroom in the town house, the other we have in the living room - is only to play wild games or eat bones in :lol::lol: I do not know why :no:

In the summer house she stays asleep on the cold tiles or in the winter in the sofa in front of the wood-burning stove :yes:

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Rob, still so sad every time I think of you and Sca. I hope you and Spitfire are comforting each other.

As for the beds, we bought two outdoor cots like Tofupup mentioned, PVC pipe and mesh for cool air flow for the backyard. Neither Asta nor Ally would use them, instead they'd scratch a spot out in the sand/gravel area and nest in there. :rolleyes2:
    But now, both Faith and Brooke LOVE those beds and lounge around on them a lot, sometimes both on the same one (medium size). So who knows if he'll like it or not. Worth a try, it does keep them cooler.

7. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Tofupup he is indoor/outdoor but when it is so hot he stays in. Otherwise he loves to be outside. In the spring and fall he would rather I go out with him than come in. Outdoor though his 'spot' is behind the grill and he is very much a dog of habit. Inside I just figured he likes to lay on stuff and never could with Sca around LOL. Sca actually liked the bed for a week or two then one night he would flip it over and attack. At that point nothing would keep him from tearing it up, he would just keep going back. At that point it had to die :ROFLMAO:

tofu pup likes this.
  8. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Aren't these dogs a hoot? :) They really do have their own agendas (and vendettas!).

9. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep never did figure out the bed thing. I kept getting tougher and tougher ones to no avail. Once flipped their days were numbered

tofu pup likes this.
  10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    They sure do. I did put my elevated beds outside on our shaded porch thinking it would be perfect for them on nice days. No one ever laid in them. I would find the dogs stretched out on the deck floor resting their heads against the beds! An expensive pillow......:confused:

We've had our share of bed chew toys too. It seems to be a puppy rite of passage here that you have to shred a bed before your first birthday. :wideyed: