Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Elevated beds

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by SheepOfBlue, Jul 22, 2017.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca was super perfect. In the summer he only came up if I put him up then after some petting he was gone. In the winter on cold days he would come up. Spitfire is up all winter and I might have to push him out of the way. Since we lost Sca he now comes up every morning even though it is summer. Though in the winter Sca would litterly plop down on me and kind wiggle off, Spitfire gets the perfect distance off so all you get is fuzz and heat.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hah. Try having two, three or sometimes four (the remaining two thankfully prefer the floor beds) dogs sandwiched around you on either side. Oh and one who HAS to sleep where your feet go! My air conditioning bill for summer is way higher to allow for my little furry heating pads.....

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    There's a fortnightly radio show here with a local vet behaviourist, and I remember he discussed the trampoline beds on one of his shows. He was against them - particularly for older dogs. He said because of the lack of support (particularly as it sags over time) it's very hard for a dog to get in and out of the bed, esp for dogs with joint issues. He said it's like hammocks for humans - fun for a little bit but you wouldn't want to sleep in them. So I guess they're okay for something to lay in but not a permanent bed. They are very popular here (so many people have their dogs outside here) and I know a lot of dogs who don't use them!

I cut off a piece of foam from an old foam mattress to make beds for my dogs (with the old cover on otherwise Tully picks at the foam). I've brought many, many beds over the years and the foam mattress ones are the only ones they'll use. Deska's been sleeping on his foam next to the bed for 10 years and it's still nice and firm.

Of course, in the lounge the use the giant dog bed - aka the couch!

4. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    War has been declared and the battle rages. Got his bed and set it up in front of the fan (he loves the fan) Put him on it. OK but nope. Lured him on with food.... only front paws. If I can get him to lay down it will be his spot but hmmmmm......

Hanne likes this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie would say : "If you think it's so amazing, use it yourself - I take my pillow" :biggrin2:

6. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Round one goes to me! I put him on it and was giving him treats. Then petting him and he laid on it. Later he was sniffing it.

mimiretz, Ann and Hanne like this.