Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Emises Nemesis: An Annie Laurie Adventure

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Chris, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Annie Laurie (15) scared us to death two nights ago. At about eleven pm, she started vomiting and didn't stop. She must have vomited 8-9 times, judging from the evidence. We thought she'd stopped and was ok, but at 1 am, she started up again, so I decided an ER trip was in order.

She was so sick! The ER vet (what a gem, by the way), treated her while she lay in my arms in a blanket. She got Prilosec and Serenia, which set her up for the night. Once home, she slept in Daddy's and my arms the rest fo the night.

In the morning, I took her to our regular veterinary clinic. She was seen by Dr. P. (Now the last time we saw Dr. P. was when Annie Laurie ate 29 chocolate covered cherry cordials and got blasted.) He decided to keep her all day to rehydrate her slowly (on account of her heart murmur). We were supposed to come get her at six, but a four, Dr. P. called. "She's standing in her cage barking. We've taken her out several times, but she won't go and keeps barking. I don't know what she wants." I explained, "She's not barking. She's yelling at you."

"Please come get her." (Desperate note in vet's voice.)

We picked her up, and she was wobbly, but glad to see us. She had an IV in, in case we needed to bring her back for more treatment.
    Dr. P: "Just bring her back, and we'll take it out."
    ME: "Can't I do it?"
    Dr. P.: "Do you know what you're doing?"
    ME: "I was a nurse."
    Dr. P.: (Doubtfully) "Well, if you know what you're doing..."
    ME: (Smiling) "I know what I'm doing."
    Dr. P.: "You're sure you know what you're doing...?"
    Me: "I know what I'm doing."
    Dr. Robbins (Regular vet who's known us for 15 years, passes by.): "She knows what she's doing."
    Dr. P.: (Smiling with relief) Oh! Well, then, you take it out!

All blood levels normal -- in fact, better than ever!

Annie came home, immediately peed, ate her tablespoon of chicken and rice, and started looking for more. She slept deeply, and in the morning, pooped an entire baby carrot, intact. (Guess those are off the menu, alone with the balsamic vinegar on the salad, which is what we think may have started all this.)

Last night, I removed the IV. That sucker was so wrapped up, it took forever to undo it. Through it all, Annie Laurie screamed like I was cutting off her leg with a rusty saw and had to be restrained by two people. One was our houseguest, who'd brought his two toy poodles. One of the poodles had appointed himself Annie's personal service dog, lying next to her and growling at any dog who looked like he might bother her. Now that poodle glares at me and growls. Apparently I am not to be trusted.

All told, it's been quite a ride. It was worth every second (and the whopping vet bills) to see Annie Laurie coming back to her old self. After all, we need that little girl!

Margi, Hanne and SheepOfBlue like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    My guys like roast carrots but not uncooked ones. Not sure on Angus though I think he is going to be a foodie near Sca's scale (hoping a little less LOL)

Get healed up Annie

Chris likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine love raw carrots- though I've never seen an entire one in the backyard.................
    glad that Annie is ok now:yes:

Chris likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Holy cow what a story. Your writing is so evocative, I pictured it all esp the poodle glaring at you! So glad she's doing OK now. Annie Laurie is so blessed to be in your good care, Chris!!! I got a giggle out of the exchang with the vet, cuz I'm an RN too, & I was a vet tech, so I'm trusted to do all that kind of stuff.
    Please give Miss A L a gentle pat from me.:hugs

Chris and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well written for sure! You had me captivated! Glad Annie Laurie is OK!

At first it sounded like Laddie when he had a Pancreatic attack! So scary when they throw up constantly!

Chris likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Annie is doing very well now -- thank you all for the kind words!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh Chris what a scary and at the same time a lovely post - glad that Annie Laurie is doing well again.

Chris likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    What a story! Even better that it has a happy ending :)

Chris likes this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Glad it all came out well in the end (including the carrot :sneaky:)
    We just had a discussion about how some Shelties have no problem telling you off. It seems Annie Laurie is Queen!

Chris likes this.