Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Excessive drooling in car

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Stscey Uhrig, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Stscey Uhrig

Stscey Uhrig Forums Novice

Dec 4, 2017
    Hi all!

I have a 10 mo old sheltie that is very anxious in the car. She drools excessively. To the point she is soaked after a 30 min car ride. We have her now in a crate in the back of our SUV. Any suggestions to either a) help with the drooling or b) what to wear to prevent getting so drenched?!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    This kind of "stress drooling" isn't uncommon and she should grow out of it. For now, it's good that you have her riding in a crate where she'll be more secure. The only way to keep her dry that I know of is to buy some baby bibs and put them on her when she's in the car. They'll keep her dry at least and can be washed.

For her stress, you could try some Rescue Remedy drops or Homeopathic Anxiety drops. Neither are chemical and may help. You can find both on Amazon. I like this one and have used it with some success. https://www.amazon.com/HomeoPet-147...413169&sr=8-4&keywords=anxiety+drops+for+dogs

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Rescue Remedy is excellent. Layla still drools sometimes on long trips, so we use it for any ride more than three hours.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's good that your crating her in the car, it will eventually make her feel more secure and comfortable in the car. You could also try to condition her to being in the car by taking short trips and giving her treats and praise (help her relax and lessen her fear) as someone else drives the car. Gradually take longer and longer trips as she gets more used to it.
    When Piper was a young pup I put his crate in the front passenger seat and if he was ever scared or nervous I would reach in and pat him and calm him down. He loves his car rides now (of course he always has to ride shotgun but crated).

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    If I can find my post, I'll post the link. You can also start working on desensitizing her and conditioning her that car rides means good stuff. My dog Vogue does this too, stress drools, but even after a few sessions, she may pant sometimes, but at least there's way way WAY less drool.

Here's the thread. It will give you some guidance on how to desensitize and help the anxiety.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/car-anxiety-leads-to-vomiting.26338/

BTW, I've tried the thundershirt, it kinda worked once.