Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Extreme Fur Loss

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by take4roll10, Apr 14, 2017.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Hey all! My beautiful girl has been experiencing severe fur loss for the past 2-3 years. It has been a slow progession. First, she lost all her undercoat and now she is losing her top coat as well. Her neck is basically bald at this point. :((

I have been to several vets including an internist and a dermatologist. We tested everything possible--- bloodwork, thyroid, cushing's, skin scrapings, etc. Everything comes back normal, which of course is great.

The only thing that has come back abnormal is her sex hormones, which are elevated. This is referred to as atypical cushing's (normal cortisol, but high sex hormones). She being treated with shampoos, Melatonin, Lignans and Biotin. The only place she grows fur is her feet and the tip of her ears. She is drastically losing fur everywhere else.

I am working with a dermatologist, but I am concerned that she is going to be completely bald soon, which means sunblock in the summer. Currently, she has to wear a coat in weather below 60 degrees. I know it could be worse that she only has fur loss, but it just breaks my heart to see her shake when it is only 50 degrees outside.

Her skin is dry and little red in places, but no sores and she is not itchy, so we don't think it is allergies.

Anyone experience something similar or have any suggestions? Thanks! Pics are attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Randi, that is so sad! I know you said they've tested for Cushings but would they consider treating for Cushings even if it's atypical? Fur loss like that is usually associated with Cushings. The only other thing you might consider is a consult with a holistic vet. Sometimes they think outside the box and can come up with a dx and treatment plan that traditional vets wouldn't think of.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Hey Ann, thank you for your response. Treating for Cushing's has been suggested, but since her main symptom is fur loss, the meds can do more harm than good. It just didn't seem worth it for a cosmetic issue. But now that she is getting completely bald in areas, I am considering it. A Melatonin implant is also something I am considering.

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Poor baby.....I just want to give her a hug!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Poor thing, it looks dreadful, so relieved to hear it's not itchy.

I've had issues with Deska's fur for years (not as bad as you're facing). No undercoat, dander, bald tail and scale on his stomach and tail. I went through test after test as well.

This winter though he has grown undercoat, the dander has gone and there's fur on is tail (although the scale is still there). I'm so excited. The only that's changed is 1) he has fish as his main protein, b) he's on a senior multi-vitamin. I actually think it's the multi that's done the trick - when he went off it he lost the fur on his tail again. The fish diet is about the fourth elimination diet, but I'm going to keep him on it just in case that's what's working.

My thought is the hair loss and skin issues were due to a deficiency. We did blood tests that showed no deficiencies, but the tests don't cover everything. I used Megaderm and tried fur supplements, but they didn't help either, So I think there's something in the senior multi-vitamin that wasn't in the other products (maybe a trace element). Deska is on arthritis meds so it may be those interfering with absorption. The dermatologist thinks it's a reasonable assumption - at least she did once she saw the noticeable change in his fur.

This is the multi I'm using https://www.vetalogica.com.au/collections/everyday-health-for-dogs/products/canine-senior-multi . It's an Australia product but you can see the ingredients.

ghggp likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor darling girl! I can see why she would be shivering!
    Glad Ann and Caro can offer some advice!
    All I can do is offer support that your sweet girl finds relief soon.
    Since is warming up and she does not need to contend with the cold, maybe vitamin D by being in the sun will help. With sunscreen of course!

7. Silaria

Silaria Premium Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Poor sweet little Bailey. :( Randi, I don't have anything new to suggest but I will add my first thought was to find a holistic vet just for another approach to the problem. I do hope you find something that helps her.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Thanks ladies! I am going to add a vitamin supplement to her diet. That was one of things that the dermatologist suggested. We're also going to increase her melatonin and I'm going to do another sex hormone test in a few weeks.

This is the supplement I am highly considering, Solid Gold SeaMeal:
    https://www.chewy.com/solid-gold-seameal-dog-cat/dp/49212

Anyone every try it?

Caro, the Skin formula of the vitamin that you use looks good as well, but I don't know if it has any digestive enzymes. I want something that will help with absorbing nutrients. Bailey has always been on the thinner side, no matter how much she eats, so I wonder if she is not competely absorbing her food. She eats freeze-dried raw, so she is on very high quality commercial food.
    https://www.vetalogica.com.au/collections/skin-care-for-dogs-and-cats/products/canine-omegadermtm

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    The Seameal looks good - no brewer's yeast which I've noticed a lot of supplements have (and which I figure is no good for a dog with skin issues). But it does seem to be missing minerals and trace elements so you may want to supplement with a multi. I know zinc deficiencies can cause skin problems so look for one that contains Zinc

The Vetalogica vitamins have antioxidants and I guess they are easily absorbed because I think Deska has absorption problems. They use chicken as the basis for the vitamins, and while Deska seems to be sensitive to chicken, he doesn't have a problem with the multi. Plus he loves the taste so eats it like a treat and I don't have to mix it or hide it.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    For what it's worth, I give Nature's Farmacy Dogzymes Ultimate supplement which has nutrients and coconut oil. They recommend giving it with their digestive enzyme/probios which I do. They have Digestive Enhancer and Probio Max, with Max the stronger of the two. I've used both and they are excellent. This regimen gives me great coats and no scratching. They are also great to consult with and you can call them (number on home page) for recommendations on what your dog specifically needs. They might be able to help with Bailey.
    https://naturesfarmacy.com/