Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Eye contact is it normal?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by andre normand, Sep 1, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    hi
    Just Got my puppy yesterday .he is eight weeks old is it normal that he does not have eye contact with me yet

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    The puppy might be just overwhelmed with everything new that has happened to him!

You might try a yummy treat and show it to him and move the treat to your face and when he looks at your face say, watch me! If the pup is looking at you quickly say, Yes! Give him the treat immediately and lavish praise! Repeat this to help him look at you and to bond with you!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ann likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Gloria gave you great advice. When dogs are uncertain or shy, they don't want to make eye contact. When adult dogs such as rescues are fearful, it's best not to try to look them in the eyes...a dog who is afraid sees eye contact as threatening or aggressive. Your puppy is in totally new surroundings and that's probably why he won't look at you yet. Give him lots of pats, cuddles and treats, as Gloria suggested, and time to adapt. In a few days he'll be a bouncing bundle of energy. Good luck!

Hanne likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with Gloria and Ann, the puppy needs time to adjust to they're new surroundings. We forget that this is a living breathing intelligent creature who has been removed from the only home they've known. They don't start loving you the moment you take them home, it takes time...play with your puppy lots, pat them, talk to them and when they've had all their shots walk them a lot as this will further cement the bond you've got.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    You received great responses. Heck it took me three weeks to teach this little girl of mine to do steps at 3 lbs. 6oz. When they
    adapt you will go wow he sure has come along in the right direction. Lady was a different situation, she was just happy to get
    out of where she was and did zoomies all over the place. Now she has me trained. Shelties are so much fun, your going to love
    him more everyday, and he will respond back.
    Congratulations on your new puppy.