Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fatty Tumor

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by sable, Jun 22, 2017.

1. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Lil' Lady has a fatty tumor right behind her front leg. The vet doesn't want to remove it, and I so agree.
    Ok not a vet but I have been around enough dogs, when they have one of these and more come after one
    is removed.

Not huge and she gets around fine. Anyone else have this problem with your sheltie? What is your
    thinking on this?

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My boy Mr. Chance had two fatty tumors and had them both removed. The larger of the two masses was on his inner thigh and would eventually impede his ability move normally so I opted to have it removed along with the fatty tumor on his side. Both were about half the size of a tennis ball. No additional fatty tumors ever developed after the removal of these two.

I was driving in my neighborhood and saw a black lab in the front yard with his family and he had a fatty tumor on his side that was about the size of a grapefruit! It looked terrible. I would think the larger these get the more is could bother the animals balance and movement. If yours is small and does not impact movement maybe monitor it and leave it alone. In my case, it had to be removed. Absolutely no ill effects for my boy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I know a couple of cattle dogs with massive tumours on the side and it looks so uncomfortable. Deska has a fatty tumour on his side - fits into the palm of my hand - and it came up quite quickly, so I've been concerned they'll grow into massive tumour too. Asked the vet about removal, and she said it could be difficult if it's grown into muscle. Also he'd need to be shaved all along that side and the fur won't grow back along the scar site. I asked about just doing aspiration and she said that can be done but the tumour will probably grow back, unlike when it's surgically removed.

4. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks ghggp and Caro. Lil' Lady's isn't that big, but I have seen big ones also, like when my neighbor's dog
    had one. It was right on his butt, huge. The vet told me if it makes her mobility tough then he will take it off.
    Lil' Lady is 11 1/2 and I just want to keep her in good shape. For her age she does great.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Bentley has one on his side as well. Started small but has grown somewhat quickly into a golf-ball size. When I first noticed it we took him in to the vet, the vet aspirated it and declared it to be a fatty lipoma. His advice was that as long as they weren't bothering him to leave them alone. I'm worried, though, because I believe it's going to continue to grow. Wouldn't it be easier to remove now when it is small?

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I would tend to agree with you! Better to remove it when it is small!

7. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    We had a foster that had a fatty tumor on her hind leg. Didn't seem to bother her at all but it kept getting bigger. We had it removed and the vet was glad he removed it because it was wrapped around the ligament. He said in the not too distant future it might very well have crippled her.

8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Like I said the vet didn't want to remove it yet, but it sure worries me what could happen. She moves around fine, and I just hope she
    continues. Thanks Sheltiemama.

9. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Gavin has probably a dozen lipomas. One has been there since he was 4 or 5 on his shoulder, the rest started growing when he was 8+. Most have been tested; his little body chart is quite full of markings showing where they are. They haven't appeared to grow much once they have been noticed. At 12, I don't want to do anything unless needed, and the one on his elbow/shoulder area is the most likely to both him, but its the old one. Gavin has been on grain free food since he was 4, and he gets sadly few treats from me.

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Our rescue, Vinca, has had three of them removed. They have all been in various places that bothered her to walk so we chose to get them removed. I'm not sure what is causing her to get them, it would be nice to know so we could fix it. She is 12 now, so maybe it is an age thing?