Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

FEAR STAGE?/8 MONTHS

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Alexs6447, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Alexs6447

Alexs6447 Forums Novice

Sep 13, 2017
    My sheltie is the most docile, non-barker, even temperament dog I've met (not bias, i swear she's made of magic:) . She's nothing like i expected of the breed, very confident, loves people, dogs, and new environments. Recently though, she has become very nervous and started barking at inanimate objects such as flowers, watering cans, and even little door stop statues. Wondering if this is just another fear stage that will pass or something that I'm looking at long term? I think shes barked more in the last week than she has her whole life.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I remember Shelby going through a phase like that too. One day out of the blue she decided she was afraid to walk over the train tracks (we would walk over them multiple times a day). I basically acted as if the tracks were no big deal and kept on walking until she walked over them. She did his for a few days and then back to normal. I didn't make a big deal out of it or "reinforce" her new fear. Just acted as if nothing was wrong. Sometimes I would ask her to "jump" over the rails which would make it fun to cross over.

Shelby is extremely observant and never misses a thing. If there is something "new" on our walks (a for sale sign, big pile of trash etc.) she will immediately stop and look at it like "what the heck is that thing". When she does this I just speak to her in a normal tone and just tell her it is just.... let's go. And then I allow her to check out and sniff the offending item and encourage her and support her to do so. Once she checks it out and knows it is no big deal then she is never bothered by it again.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    This may be a Sheltie thing, Minnie -who is very confident- do exactly the same :yes:

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Beckon, aka Colonel Underpants, hit the fear stage at about 7-8 months and never came out of it. We knew everything about his breeding and how he was raised until we got him as 12 weeks. He told the animal communicator we use occasionally that he didn't know why he was afraid -- he just is. His biggest concern was that he didn't want to be thought of as a problem.

Now 8, he still fear-bluffs visiting dogs and is she with new people. However, he eventually warms up, comes over to new folks for petting, and the fear-bluffing decreases significantly. In all other ways, he's confident, loving and a great guy! We love Beckon just the way he is!

5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion too! Anything and everything "new" has to be checked out. This morning I was saying Seriously, Fill?? It's a STICK for heaven's sake! But it was in the middle of the road and it didn't belong there LOL. And Koko just stands there patiently waiting for his son's OCD to be over so we can continue on....

Shelby's mom likes this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    OCD is a great way to explain it!! Shelby is so OCD she pulls the weeds out of the cacks in our patio because she feels they don't belong there.

Margi likes this.