Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Feeding Chicken and Rice after diarrhea

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by danisgoat, Apr 3, 2011.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Hey All!

I forgot to get details from my vet regarding how much for how long of chicken and rice to feed after a bout with diarrhea.

I currently cooked up 4 servings of white rice with one boneless skinless chicken breast. I shredded the chicken. I have been giving that to Dandie since Friday night. I just finished that amount this morning and now I am making some more.

Dandie has held down the chicken and rice since I started her on it and she hasn't had diarrhea since Friday night/early Saturday AM.

My questions are:
    1. How much should I be feeding her of the chicken and rice?
    2. How long before I start mixing in her usual kibble?
    3. Is my ratio of chicken to rice appropriate?

My vet is closed today, and I just wanted to make sure that I was feeding her properly.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    The ratio doesn't really matter, since you are not feeding it long term. You can throw some egg in there if you are worried about it.

I would feed the same amount as you do kibble, divided up however you do regularly (once a day, twice a day, whatever)

I would give it another couple of days before mixing kibble back in.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks Rachael.

I just threw two eggs in with the rice and chicken to boil. Yum....actually looks really good :lol:

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I feed rice and chicken until stools are firm and usual/ i.e. if your dog normally has 2 stools you should expect 2 stools/ and dog's behavior is back to his norm- happy, eager to eat anything in sight. I hold it for one more day and then return to their general feeding. My principle is simple- if I return to their food too early and they start having loose stools again I am back to square one and have to hold off feeding and start rice and chicken again....

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I do the same thing as SheltieChe...feed the chicken and rice for one full day after they return to normal, and then slowly add their kibble back into the mix. I've always been sorry when I do it too quickly!

I hope Dandie is doing better! :yes:

6. Sheltiesr2cute

Sheltiesr2cute Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    My vet has always told me to use ground beef and rice. Well it has always worked for us. I found that after a couple of days they are ready to eat as usual. At least two normal stools, before I would return them to thier usual diet.
    Becky

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My vet says first day liquid only and then one meal after the stools return to normal. I tend to give it to them a bit longer because they love chicken and rice. After our road trip both mine have the runs so they will be on the rice for a couple of days, at least for dinner and I will be avoiding fatty meals this week.