Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Females coat after sterilization

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hanne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Here where we live, it is not normal to sterilize dogs, but I did it with my last female German shepherd, because -as we all know- that there are studies that show that it can reduce the risk of cancer

When I bought Minnie, this was also my firm belief, that I would sterilize her, between 1st and 2nd maturity, also when she was about 1 year.

But I have been advised not to do it, both by several breeders and the groomer, they all say that her coat will be completely destroyed and completely impossible to get it to look good. :confused2:

It seems that it is normal to sterilize where the majority of you live.

So therefore, I hope you will share your experiences about your female dog's after they have been sterilized, because I am very, very unsure if I will regret the surgery.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Hanne, all my females have been spayed before a year old and I have seen no change in their coats. All told over the years I have had 3 female shelties who were not rescues and I raised them from puppyhood.... without fail every single one has had a beautiful coat throughout their life. My current gal, Faelee, has really full coat for a female...her breeder comes by to visit several times a year and he always comments on what an amazing coat she has. I have to say that all my females have come from the same line...so genetics probably plays a role in their coat quality.

Trini

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh Trini, Thank you.
    You really mean this, how wonderful :hugs

If it is the same experience, some other members will write about, so I am convinced and will do it. :yes::yes:

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I do think it's genetic to a great extent. Pixie was spayed early, before she was one year old, and her outer coat has become long and drapy, with not much undercoat.

Checkers, one of my show girls, was spayed last year at age 7. She has always had a very lush, full coat and I was very nervous that it would change. Thankfully, it hasn't. Pixie and Checkers are from different lines and I do think that's part of it.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I see lots of a lush full coat on spayed female shelties, unless they've been given 'summer clips'. Heck, Tully's coat actually became fuller and shinier after spaying. From what I've seen of desexed female coats and show dog bitches I think the coat of the desexed females was longer and lusher. I figured that was not losing coat every heat cycle.

6. Silaria

Silaria Premium Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    CJ was spay at about 3.5 years after she was officially retired from showing. Her coat is the same today as it was when we brought her home. This particular line isn't extremely full coated but she does have a decent amount of undercoat. (My boy's coat is actually less full than my girl's.)

Prior to our Shelties we had a Finnish Spitz from a breeder and a Malamute-mix we rescued, both female and spayed. Both dogs had wonderful coats throughout their life.

7. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    furbabies

4 sheltie gals, all spayed...if it is one thing my girls have done and done well is GROW fur, and MORE fur, and oodles of fur...be it the weather, our climate, altitude, or their diet. They have had FULL poofy coats that cover them up. They are not outside dogs, they are pampered indoor pooches but still they grow thick fur coats. So maybe spaying is a factor for some, but from my own personal experience I can't see that it deterred the growth of a full coat...and I shear/thin them down to a puppy cut in the summer because they don't like the heaviness of the fur in the heat, they pant way too much if I don't-especially the backend and underpants, and still it GROWS back by the first frost.

8. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hanne, Bambi was spayed early, before she was a year old. Her coat was beautiful, lush and full, she was a beautiful mahogany and always shined like a new penny. Hope this helps with your decision. :fl :smile2:

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Provisional thanks to Ann, Caro, Silaria, tesslynn and Sullivan for your experience, and after reading (translated) your post a couple of time, so I understood it so, that none of you thought it has / is a problem as you would avoid.

We have Scandinavian climate, so we do not have the heat such as you Caro (one daughter also live in Australia)

Minnie is now 7 months. I seemed she have a nice fur.
    I must try to figure out how to get admitted some pictures (my grandchild :lol: just took some pictures here on the beach).

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Callie was already spayed when I got her from sheltie rescue- she had a beautiful coat.

Dixie was spayed at about 10 months.
    this is Dixie at about 7 months and at 4 yrs