Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Females coat after sterilization

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hanne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I wonder myself about how such a lovely dog as Callie could end on sheltie rescue :confused2: yes I agree really a beautiful coat.
    The same with Dixie in the last picture.

Minnie has a little more coat than Dixie at 7 months. But less on the tail.

Until now this thread is gone to my advantage :hugs

2. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    Both of my girls are retired grand champions, spayed at around age 7. Their coats are every bit as thick and beautiful as they ever were.

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it's a question of perspective - that is, who you ask!

For background: my mother shows and breeds Shelties, and I spent most of my life living with and grooming intact dogs. (Every time I visit my parents I end up bathing and grooming a dog.:biggrin2:) In females, we are looking for a fitted coat - one that is thick with abundant undercoat, but which follows the outline of the body. The coat is "hard"; it sheds water and doesn't tangle. This is the kind of coat that an intact female tends to have.

When they are spayed, bitches start to grow a longer, looser coat. It doesn't fit the outline of the body and it is more likely to tangle. It soaks up water more easily. There's lots of hair - more hair than she's ever had in her life! - so most anyone would say that it is a beautiful coat.

But for us breeders, it is not correct, and it's not what we look for. Personally, I far prefer the texture of an intact bitch's coat. I find it much easier to work with, and I really love that form-fitting, feminine outline (like she's wearing a little Chanel jacket).

But - any breeder who's been around a while is going to have a few older, spayed or neutered dogs at home. (Mom has two females and a male.) They've been altered because they are retired from breeding, and we want to prevent any health issues. Of course we think they are still beautiful and we love them dearly - so we're happy to trade their "good" coats for more happy, healthy years with them.

So: to most people, a spayed bitch has great big, beautiful coat - it's not ruined in any way. But to a breeder, yes, we might say it "ruins" the coat.

But we can all agree, the dog underneath the coat is the most important part!

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I've only had one bitch spayed later in life, and her coat is now awful. She's a smooth Collie, was spayed at just after 5 years old. She has been blowing coat constantly for 4 years now. It doesn't matter how often I bathe/brush/furminate her, she is always losing hair. I don't even like her to rub against my legs, because it leaves behind this streak of short hair.

So no, had I known then how annoying it would be, I would have just left her intact.

5. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    Very well put Megan! I find I end up trimming the heck out of the spayed girls just to get outline. The ruff down the front practically touches the floor. The skirts in back get bushy and out of control. When I trim all that back, they look like young show girls again!

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I wonder if there is a groomer among us

I think the one that would have the most expertise/experience is a groomer. They would probably be able to give you some valuable input because they probably would have lots of examples.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    many beautiful shelties end up in rescue for a variety of reasons...
    I was just happy to give Callie a home:yes:

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    tofu pup - Thank you for taking the time to write your experience.
    I've read, read and thought, that's why it took me some time to answer you. :wink2:
    Unfortunately, it was enough that answer I was afraid to get, so I thank you for taking the time.

I will always love Minnie, whatever, but I did not think I want to ruin the coat.
    She must never be exhibited, I will make sure her coat will be arranged every week, and I really want to spare her so much I can of cancer, I really have a dilemma here :gaah

ClantyreSheltie
    -Thank you for your experience
    My German shepherd blowing coat Constantly throughout her life (8 years), it was very annoying, but I did not regret that she was sterilized.
    But I know that a Sheltie has a whole different coat.

missjenneygirl - When I trim all that back, they look like young show girls again! - If only I could do this, then I would not doubt. :no:

tesslynn - I totally agree and grateful :yes:

Calliesmom - I was just happy to give Callie a home - I understand it well, she's estimate :fl

9. labgirl

labgirl Premium Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    My personal experience is with Shelties and Cockers. When Merlin was chemically neutered his coat condition changed, became thinner and more oily. Most people in the Sheltie world here say don't sterilise as it wrecks the coat. Someone I know had their female Sheltie spayed at about 15 months. Her coat has become extremely dense and thick, it still looks ok, but it is not as light and fluffy as Merlin's. He also complains about the amount of grooming her coat needs - she is his third Sheltie so he is used to grooming them, but she is the first one he has had fixed. However, I think in part the problem with her is because he has never line brushed her to remove excessive undercoat. I think if she was handed to me I could do a full groom and make her look a lot better.

In cockers, sterilising alters coat condition dramatically, changes sleek coats to fluffy coats. I've seen the before and after pics and people complain all the time about it. Of course they make it worse by shaving off the fluffy coat which causes spaniel fur to grow back curly, in some cases they end up looking like poodles!

So just to make you aware that changes can happen in the coat, but are not necessarily going to make your dog look awful:wink2:

Also I have never considered the changes in coat caused by sterilisation to be a sole reason for avoiding the procedure. At the end of the day the advantages outweigh a little bit of extra coat, and as others have said every dog is different.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    labgirl - Thank you so much for your experience. I get a little step closer each time :yes:
    Yes, I have read that a Cockers fur, could be damaged.

Can see you are from the UK, so there's probably a little of the same meaning as in Denmark, not to sterilize.

What you write is not scary to me, but on the contrary. :wink2:

I know that her fur might give a little more work, but it's ok, you rarely get something for free.
    :no:

(can see it seems stupid to pay 1550 USD for the puppy and so you maybe destroy the coat, but fortunately it does not affect what is underneath)