Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Females coat after sterilization

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hanne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. labgirl

labgirl Premium Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Yes, there are huge debates in the UK at the moment about whether to spay/neuter pet dogs automatically. It ends up being about personal choice:wink2:

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ember was spayed at 2.5 yrs. Her outcoat coat texture or length really did not change that much but her undercoat became ridiculous. She did not blow coat for 2.5 yrs, I am not kidding. She looked like a waking cotton ball. I groomed her weekly like I do all my dogs and the undercoat was not clumpy just so much of it.

Birch was neutered at 15 months. His coat really changed. He never had the biggest coat as it was but it became sort of stringy. He finally is getting a decent coat now at 3 yrs but I am sure it would have been better if he was intact. I think genetics plays a role as his brother Spruce has a totally different coat and they were neutered about the same time. His sister has the same coat and she was not spayed until a year later. Her coat is exactly the same as before.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Justicemom - Thanks so much for your post.

yes, it will be a rate, it is not easy :no:
    - when I, on the one hand, would like to spare her as much as I can for cancer, but on the other hand, do not want to hurt her with the coat.

I could just be so lucky :yes:
    --His sister has the same coat and she was not spayed until a year later. Her coat is exactly the same as before--

4. labgirl

labgirl Premium Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I'm not sure how high the rates of female cancer are in dogs. Pyrometra has always been my biggest concern.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    The concern is mammary cancer 1 out of 4 in girls who go though at least 3 cycles, statically no difference if the are spayed after that. 50/50 of that is malignant vs benign.

Of course, risk of pyometra goes up with age. You.gest I have personally seen was 11 months avg is over 7.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It is this risk, I would like to reduce:

(google translate from danish)
    At the same time also prevent a sterilizing diseases of uterus and ovaries as such. pyometra, affecting many older female dogs, and cancer
    ovaries.

If sterilizing the dog early in life and reduces also the risk of developing cancer of the mammary gland (breast cancer).

All bitches are about 25% risk during their lifetime of developing cancer of the mammary glands. This risk is reduced to less than 8% if sterilizes before the second term.

if I decide to sterilize - I would do it about 1 year :fl

7. labgirl

labgirl Premium Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thank you Dr Shelli, I didn't realise the cancer risk was so high. I knew about pyrometra because I know of a number of bitches that have suffered from it and that it is a killer.

Sparrow is now experiencing her first true season and I am torn about whether to spay or not. It's the health concerns that trouble me most and make me think I should spay, but then you get people telling you spaying a dog can lead to a greater risk of joint problems, which in an agility dog is always a worry. Needless to say I am :confused2:

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So are we, at this time, in the same boat :gaah

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  9. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    Temporarily maybe from the hormone changes like after having a puppy but after that initial hormonal shift they actually should shed less often and have a maximum coat for what their genetics are. My moms' last two female shelties had immense coats and were spayed at about six months. But that is just an example. Sheltie talk doesn't warn of coat after spaying or anything else i have read.

10. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    I should have read responses first. Fascinating to read the breeder perspective and definately some new information. Yes the females i am thinking of had longer more flowing coats but hers had tons of undercoat. I personally love the longer, thick coat look verses the chanel coat... But thats my personal taste and why i love the male look