Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Females coat after sterilization

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hanne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    yes, so it goes when we are too quick on the keys. :lol:

It is obviously a difficult subject, I think I like the Chanel look, but it is not crucial, absolutely not. :no:

I am more afraid of the coat becomes completely wild and ugly. :gaah

I still have some thinking time, when she probably come in her first term of about one month.

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Update !!!

Then it's the last chance :sadsmile:

I thank you all for your opinion / experience, I have read them all several times, also a big thanks to the groomer who sent a pm on April 14,

After this I have taken my final decision.

I have heard of a good vet who has Shelties herself.
    So I have ordered time on July 4, -six days before Minnie has 1 year birthday, that is between her 1 and 2 maturity.

We will drive to our cottage at the beach on June 3, to be throughout the summer until late August.

Although it is very unpractical, we must driving the 3½ hour back to the vet, but we can stay in our townhouse a few days after the surgery, before we return to the beach again.

I really want to make it optimal for Minnie, this vet removes only the ovaries with a small cut 2 "(4-5 cm) and sew this from within, so no stitches to be removed.

I really hope I have taken the right decision both about the vet, but also because Minnie had a hard time of the 14 days after its maturity, she was so sad and did not want her food, so I was also quite upset.

Thanks again to all of you :yes:

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Gosh that's a long drive, but then if you're happy with the vet it's probably worth it.

I'll be interested on how you find just taking the ovaries out. I know dogs where they've taken out the uterus and left the ovaries (actually all former breeding bitches) but not the other way around.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    yes Caro - I really hope it's worth it because I have only heard of her and talked a lot with her. :yes:

One very important thing for me is also, that I stay with Minnie to she is sleeping, and come back to her again just before she wakes up.

Then we can take to our town house ½ hour drive and will first drive back to the beach when Minnie is right at the top again. :lol:

After spending all these months to investigate about this sterilization, then I found out that this method is widely used with younger dogs, but of course only if their uterus is completely healthy - if not then it will also be removed and the cut will be greater.

For larger dogs - over 10-11 kg. - many vet use a "telescope sterilization" which is a little more expensive, but leaves only two ore three small holes.

But I will certainly be more and more nervous as the time approaches. :smile2:

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    But if they take the uterus out do females still go in heat? Maybe a stupid question:)o) but I really don't know. In have only met female dogs that were sterilized and without ovaries or both never just without uterus.

For my second dog I will take a female and as I was already reading some information and I came across the problematic of incontinence because of the sterilization, so I am a bit worried If this is a common problem.:(

Hanne, I know how you feel I was also very nervous before I took Lexi to be castrated. That day I was sick and trembling and I just couldn't help myself. I said to the vet that he has to call me immediately after surgery to tell me how Lexi was and when I came to take him away he was already awake and he slowly ran towards me. :hugs

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    No Lexi, they do not come into heat. :no:

They have found out that there is no reason for the large intervention on young females where the uterus is completely healthy and therefore only removed the ovaries, the uterus will shrink completely into over time.

the problematic of incontinence because of the sterilization

The opportunity should diminished if you sterilize after the first term.

My beloved German shepherd female, was sterilized 3 months after the first term and had no problems.

Yes. it is not good to think of, I know I will be so nervous when I left her, and until I see her again.

Until now I have spent so much energy to read and study everything that was possible to take this decision.
    I have not had time to think about the day when we have to run to the vet.

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just clarify. If you take the uterus out and leave the ovaries, they will continue to go though seasons. Vulva swelling, attractive to males, usually no bleeding.

If you take out the ovaries and leave the uterus no issue with seasons. There is some evidence this decreases the chance of incontinence because reaction on the uterus may be reason in some cases

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Update:
    So we are back in our townhouse, after a long drive.

I can feel the nervousness is growing :yes: I think of tomorrow all the time, it was the 2. and not the 4. as I said earlier.

So tomorrow we get up early, so we have time to take a long walk before we drive 45 min to the vet where we have time at 8.30.

I really wish that everything goes well for my little Minnie :hugs

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sending good thoughts for your Minnie, Hanne. :fl Let us know how she does. Hugs to you! :hugs

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Big hugs for Minnie, and you too. While she is fast asleep you'll be all worried about her.

Do you get to bring her home the same night? I think I remember you mentioning staying in town for a little bit after the surgery.