Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Females coat after sterilization

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Hanne, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    nervous with both

When Kaleigh was spayed, I freaked out the whole time she was away from me. When the call came through that I could come get her, I was SO relieved. She woke up early and they said she was doing great...When Savannah went in for her procedure, I was even more protective and anxious, as she was smaller. She woke up early, we were due for a big storm then so they were trying to get all the pets out safely as soon as possible. Both my girls healed FAST-my Vet was really pleased on their post-op follow up. Keeping them inactive was the challenge. Good luck on that part!

I think being anxious is normal. I am sure Minnie will do great. Having confidence in your Vet is so important!!

Kaleigh has MORE coat than any of my girls have had. I even got a furminator from a friend as a gift, to help get that coat off-I love it by the way. She is SO hot now with temps rising. So I can't see any evidence with my girls that spaying diminishes coat..Even Savannah at 10 mths, has LOTS of fur...maybe it is their diet, or the altitude here, or their genes, but they have no evidence of diminished coat, they look like the sheltie talk photos :winkgrin:

2. jumba

jumba Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2013
    Fl
    I will be thinking of Minnie! I am sure she will do just fine. They say that they recover very quickly!

But, I will be in your shoes on the 23rd of July when Addie goes in for hers :gaah

3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I just had Cleo spayed on June 15th. She did very well and healed up within a week. I was so worried about her when I dropped her off. I think I called the vets office 3 times during the day to check on her. And that was after they had told me she was doing fine. They did her surgery first thing in the morning and I picked her up after I got off of work at 5:00. She was a little groggy from the anesthesia. I gave her some water to drink and then later that night I gave her half of what she normally ate (Have heard eating too much can make them toss their food). The next morning she was back to herself again in no time. She had to wear an e-collar because she did have stiches and that didn't even bother her. She still played with her toys like normal. So I have been there and I think Minnie will be fine.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
  5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Your girl is very cute, glad to hear she did well. Lil' Lady did fine, the vet used
    the laser approach. They are like the come back kids, and we humans worry.

Yes I called also.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you Ann for your good thoughts - think they helped :hugs

Thank you for your hugs for both of us :yes: Yes, I thought I was wildly nervous, I seemed she was so small and sensitive.

Good to know that I'm normal :lol: - I was nervous. Hope that she will heal without problems such as your 2 girls

Thank you for your good wishes - when your time comes I will think good thoughts for Addie and you :yes:

Thank you for your small description, it helps to reassure :yes:

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It is a great help to be a member of this forum -with all your support, thank you !!

The mission was completed:

We got started a little silly, of course we met a hare, and then Minnie could not think of pee ore poo, so we were getting a little late going.

I was there while she was sleeping injection, so it was good.
    But it was bad to leave her, I was so nervous - there must not happen her something bad !!!!!!

After 1½ hours I came back to pick her up, she was very uneasy and she "was crying" a lot she could not figure it out. She got an extra injection for pain.
    The vet said that everything had gone really well, but she was one of the dogs that were extremely uneasy when they woke up -and I must say she was -she had to be kept, not to tingle around. :confused2:

She cried / screamed the first 15 minutes we drove back to our town house, I felt so bad, she was not herself.

Suddenly she stopped - then I was even more nervous, I simply had to get out of the car to look for her.

I open the trunk lid, and there stand Minnie and looks at me, like nothing was wrong. :lol::lol:

The rest of the road was fine, we were in the townhouse at. 12 - 3½ intense and hard hours :yes:

Sat with her on the couch for a few hours, we had to get out for a walk at. 15 she would not pee in the garden.

Having just gone for a walk again here at. 19 and everything goes fine, she has eaten, but very groggy and sleeping only when she can be up to me.

Caro you're right, we are here for the night, and if it still goes well, and she is fresh in the morning, so we drive the 3 hours back to the beach house tomorrow.

After a very, very cold summer - so here's "heatwave" since Tuesday and until Monday. :lol:

It was quite a long post - sorry !!

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Update 2 years after Minnie's serialization. -Maybe someone can use this in their considerations
    Wow - where I was nervous about doing something wrong.

I just want to thank you all who gave me a lot of help.

Now, Minnie has been 3 years, and I'm so glad I did it.
    Her coat is really nice - she throws it once a year.

I make sure to comb her coat easily once a week.
    Once a month she gets a bigger comb.

When we reach summer (June) she really starts to throw her undercoat.
    Here I comb her easily 2-3 times each week (huge bowl of undercoat)

Can also feel where her undercoat release and here I comb until it is gone.
    I do this for about 3 months - then she is ready for a new nice coat.

She is always happy no hormonal fluctuations.
    If I make sure to keep her coat (remove her loose undercoat) almost no hair in my home.

So sorry for my bad english, It's hard to explain things when i'm so bad at english and google translate is even worse between danish and english

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Ann likes this.