Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Frisbee's are a sometimes toy

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by JacqueZ, Feb 28, 2017.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Well Mango is firmly into the 1 year old energy blast, and lucky us she really got started right as colder weather was arriving. A two hour walk results in a spree of zooming around whatever park we're at or our yard. She doesn't tire out she just gets faster.

But she'll usually calm down with some couch snuggles.

This past week she's started a behavior with her frisbees that has me concerned however. She brings them in with her when she's done playing outside; normally great because then we can toss them around the basement - now however she won't rest if it's in sight. She drops it at my feet, and barks at me, or whoever is near until we throw it...then brings it back and starts again.

So I started putting it up while we're relaxing. She usually calms down after that, but sometimes she'll grab another toy and start up with that one for a few minutes.

I'm not sure if this is a continuation of her excess energy or if it's a symptom of her being concerned because my husband has had to go on a few business trips right as I had a friend come in to stay for a week. So she's had a lot of changes.

I've been trying to step up our walks and worked in some running, and increasing the amount of play time outside where she can really let loose and run and jump. I'm trying to mix in a few puzzles for getting the frisbee while we're playing inside so she has to use her mind more...and I used some time when Honey was sleeping outside to bring Mango in and really work on some commands.

Hopefully this will calm down as summer comes closer, but if anyone's seen this behavior from their dogs and has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them!

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    It doesn't sound that unusual to me. Enzo is very similar. He will cram a toy into your leg over and over--drop it on your lap, etc. until you don't even realize you're playing with him! I think it's the way they release nervous energy. Sometimes Enzo is even worse about it when he's tired.

Putting toys up is a good start (especially if there are some higher value ones like frisbees--we never allow the dogs to play with those or the holee roller in the house because they are high value and that's great for training), the other thing is to just push through her extinction burst until she realizes you aren't going to play. I even have a cue for Enzo that he has learned, and that's "last one" and "that's enough". After that, he gives his toy a good last shake and leaves it alone for a bit because he understands we are done.

JacqueZ likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    As you can see by the picture to the left, I feel your pain. Even as an 11 year old, Boods still can be (how shall we say) insistent about ball. She knows "Take a break," though!

RikyR and JacqueZ like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca knows where the throwing stuff is kept. Sometimes he will go and just stare at it.

RikyR, JacqueZ and SKNerissa like this.
  5. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    :ROFLMAO: Riley has gotten into FitPaws equipment lately. He knows he's not supposed to play with it on his own so he'll keep running to the equipment, nudging it, running to me, nudging me and keeps going until I either get up to do his exercises or correct him for pestering.

JacqueZ likes this.
  6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I missed seeing these responses, but thank you for taking the time to reassure me! It does seem to have been mostly driven by end of season crazies, and her boy traveling for work. She calmed down a lot in April after he was home, and mostly she now just wants one or two throws of the frisbee. (She's seriously the mellowest dog I've ever had at this age, everyone I know with Border mixes are jealous)

The only time I see a resurgence of this is when I'm photographing a wedding and gone all day. She'll spend the day after, carrying the frisbee around everywhere, and barking at me to throw it, but by the next day so long as I spend enough time cuddling her in the morning, she's back to just lazing around and playing with Honey like normal.

7. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada
    Drake adores his Frisbee......

He will run his legs off when there is fresh snow to romp in.

frisbee.jpg

He will run his legs off in fresh snow too,..... He gets snowballs though,...... But they are fun to chew off later on....

balls.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  8. Ian & Danielle

Ian & Danielle Premium Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sun Peaks, BC, Canada

We have one of these too......

ball20now.jpg

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When I got Minnie, I was very careful not to make "throw" into a stressful situation.

So when we have thrown a part with her ball ore what it is - I say, "This is the last time"
    then she comes and drop the ball and gets a reward, I put the ball away.

I know from my first GSD how terribly stressed they can be.

It's their hunting instinct that can go crazy - which damages their quality of life.

Those who might like to use laser light to play with are not aware of how awful damage they can make on their animals.