Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gallbladder Mucoceles

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Bradt9881, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    There is a study that was done at the NC State Vet school recently on Shelties and gallbladder mucoceles. I wish I could post a link but I don't have access to the study yet to post it. But the abstract reports that Shelties in the study on Advantix were 8 times more likely to have the disease than the control dogs. I would advise everyone to read the report when it becomes available on the ASSA website and decide if your dog should be on the product.

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    That is very sobering news...thank-you for posting this heads-up!

Trini

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow - thanks for giving us a heads-up about this new research!

Gallbladder issues are a big concern in our breed, and to find out that a certain medication could be related to increased incidence is sobering.

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I literally just switched Spirit to Advantix. Guess I'll be switching her off! Thanks for posting.

5. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

in the past gavin was on advantix (maybe 1-2 doses a year) whenever we went into high tick areas.

I will remember to no longer use it.

it was very effective, and I am very disappointed to hear it is bad for Shelties :(

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow, that's really interesting. I must let my vet know. I don't live in a high tick area but just an hours drive away are high paralysis tick areas. We used to travel a lot for competitions so I did give them tick treatment regularly. That was usually Frontline Plus, but with Frontline now being less effective for fleas Advantix was the next option, and I imagine a lot of people have switched to Advantix because of this so it's important information to know.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Thanks for the information. Our Hollie died from a mucocele. We always used Frontline on her. We did try Advantix on her once but it really irritated her skin so we stayed on Frontline.

9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks so much for posting!

I lost my first rescue sheltie 'Billy' to Gallbladder disease and my current sheltie 'Chance' has been diagnosed with it as well. He has been on medication for over 5 years now and has NOT had an attack since.

I would do anything for him and am very shocked to hear about this study!

I will defiantly pass this information on.

Thanks for helping to keep our special babies safe! :yes::hugs

10. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I would definitely look at all the aspects. If you are not in a high risk tick/flea area, I would definitely avoid using this product. I use Bravecto myself since it's listed as safe in breeding dogs, but it's very pricey, and a six month supply for my five dogs can easily cost $400. If the risk of a tick borne disease is higher than the risk of mucoceles, it may be necessary to continue using the product.....