Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Galliprant for arthritis

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Roberta, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Hello All,

I have 9 and 13 year old Shelties, both with arthritis. The 9 year old limps on his front leg. The older one doesn't limp but has slowed down and isn't as eager to go for walks. Other than that they are both healthy.

My vet recently prescribed the pain medication Galliprant for them. She said is was a newer drug with very few side effects. She said it would improve their quality of life. They have been on it now for a couple of weeks and they seem much more mobile. I do think it has made a difference in the way the feel.

I am typically very anti-drug. I don't like to give medication to my dogs (or myself) unless its really necessary. I am worried about keeping my dogs on a daily medication - but will if it makes them feel better and doesn't have negative side effects.

Are any of your dogs on Galliprant? I am curious to know how you like it. Have you had any negative experiences. Thanks! Roberta

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Have not heard of this at all, so I'm interested in learning more. I know how you feel about un-necessary drugs (I'm a nurse). I have used with my vet's encouragement, high dose fish oil and now, green-lipped mussel supplement which is really working for Brooke's arthritis. She also gets Adequan twice a month which aids in lubricating joints, and she's been on Vibrant Pets joint and muscle supplement for years. The fish oil helped A LOT for about a year, but then stopped being effective. The green lipped mussel, we're only 3 weeks into it but we've seen a very marked improvement. I'd rather try and help the cause then just mask the pain....

Dogs often get arthritis in their spines so they may not limp but it makes them obviously uncomfortable moving around.

Roberta likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm asking my vet today!!

4. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Thanks for the reply. I have been giving them fish oil and Dasuquin for a very long time. I do believe its helped but I think they are at the stage now where the arthritis is bothering them enough to make them lose interest in the things they used to love (like long walks). They still get around pretty well, but there has been a decline in activity level over the past year.

I have not heard about green-lipped mussel supplement but I'll ask my vet about it. I agree its much better to treat the cause rather than mask the pain. I am tempted to look up the side effects of Galliprant on the Internet, but truthfully - the listed side effects of most drugs (canine or human) make you not want go near them. That is probably a bad attitude to have because some are probably helpful. At some point I guess you have to trust what your vet recommends.

Thanks again for the reply - Roberta

5. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Thanks - I would be interested in hearing your vet's opinion. Roberta

6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Koko at 9 1/2 is limpy some days and doesn't want to walk anymore either. I started Dasuquin, some help, not much. So thinking about trying something else myself. However he still runs out the dog door like a maniac to run the fence line with Fillion. Granted its only a 25 ft fence line, but still, he does do that...I don't know if I should try to stop that to see if he would heal. Sure wish they could talk!