Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Going to get a pup in 8 to 10 weeks, a little nervous

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Joy H, May 27, 2017.

1. Joy H

Joy H Forums Novice

May 25, 2017
    I have wanted a dog for a little over a year, to help me get out more and to add another loving animal to my happy home. My husband and I have 2 cats, no children yet. We both work full time, but are planning on doing puppy day school and then dog daycare for part of the time we are at work. Eventually, we want to be able to trust our dog at home for maybe a few 8 hour days per week. We would give our dog run of the house with the cats. We have a yard.

I worry because I don't want to upset my cats too much or not be able to eventually trust my dog alone with the cats. The reason I chose a sheltie, not just for its beauty and intelligence, but because I thought I could trust the dog if I trained it properly to be gentle with my cats. I just want everyone to get along and eventually like each other.

I'm also a little worried because I might not get much choice on my pup since I said I wanted a boy when the litter is born. I guess I could tell the breeder, I want to pick my own pup, but I don't know if that would be okay at this point. I want to make sure I have the right dog for my household. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    You should be very, very clear with the breeder on what your needs/wants in regards to a puppy are. For instance, you probably do not want one with a high prey drive. A good breeder will try and match needs with the correct puppy regardless of gender. I have to admit I was not clear enough with the breeder for my second sheltie (and did not personality test), and although I love him--he is much more work than I expected and much more than my previous sheltie (to whom I did give the puppy personality test when I picked him). That said I am learning huge amounts with him, so it is all good.

There is a puppy personality test that lets you get an idea of how biddable, calm, etc a puppy is. This is a great resource.
    http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

Re: leaving the puppy/dog at home, alone, uncrated. Personally, I wouldn't do that until the puppy is a couple of years old. They just like to get into all sorts of things when young dogs.

Good luck.
    Pam owned by Beau 14 months

Joy H likes this.
  3. Joy H

Joy H Forums Novice

May 25, 2017
    Pam, thank you so much for your response. I will contact the breeder and explain. I wouldn't leave my pup alone until I can trust them. I plan to dog proof my house prior to that. I have a nice back yard that is enclosed that a dog would enjoy and a large basement that I want to set up as a kind of dog jungle gym. I also want my dog to be able to sleep on our bed like our other animals do. We have a large bed.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    IMG_7374.JPG IMG_7375.JPG IMG_7376.JPG IMG_7377.JPG First of all, congratulations on your soon to be Sheltie pup! It is so exciting to be sure! I agree, temperament testing can make sure the puppy is a good match for you and your home with kitties!
    I had the same concern when I got my first Sheltie puppy and was clear with the breeder that if she could not get along with my 8 year old cat she would need to be returned! The breeder understood and said that they would get along fine! She was right! I never had a problem as they were buddies from the first day!

I have had many shelties over the years and always had cats! They have always gotten along fine! Shelties have the sweetest and kindest temperaments which is why I love them so much!

I have attached some photos to show you how well everyone gets along...

Joy H likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

ghggp, Hanne and Joy H like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi, my wonderful Shadow (raindbow bridge 11/18/2015) got along fabulously with our cat. Our cat was already 5 when he came into the house and bigger than he was. From day one, he adored her. Now, Beau has not had a cat to learn with, but we have birds and I still cannot let him anywhere near their cage as he lunges and jumps, and this is after months and months of desensitization. He has a much, much stronger prey drive than Shadow did and I am not sure I would trust him with a cat. Which is why I suggested he let the breeder know your situation and needs. I grew up with dogs and cats together. My GSD growing up actually herded our two cats into the house at night and then slept in front of them LOL

Pam
    Beau 14 months

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree with Pam, the breeder will know the pups' personalities and will guide you. A lot of people go for the liveliest, most outgoing pup because they're the cutest, but they'll often be the most rambunctious and if you're at work all day and you won't want the liveliest pup in the litter. The breeder selected Tully for me as I wanted a dog with drive, and the breeder knew at about 5 weeks that Tully could only go to an active home. If it was up to me I wouldn't have picked her - she was butt ugly and wanted nothing to do with me.

With access when you are at work, mine didn't get full access to the house until they were a year old. Easier to house train and puppy proof when they are confined to a certain area (esp one that's easy to clean up messes). And I waited until mine were out of adolescence before trusting them with full access. Many people use an exercise pen to confine them, or you can just section off an area with baby gates or part of an exercise pen (which is what I did). Put a puppy pad, their food, water and toys and a bed and that's enough. Mine had access to the laundry and dining room and I later installed a dog door in the laundry so they could go outside.

I've always had Shelties with cats and they've gotten along great - after a while. The cats will probably hate your puppy to start with and your puppy will probably annoy and harass them wanting to play. Make sure the cats have an escape route and maybe a high place to go so they can watch and feel safe. They'll get used to each other, it sometimes takes a little longer if the cat comes first, but Shelties are gentle.

Btw - I think there's a few threads by people wanting advice about Shelties and cats.

9. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I had a reservation for a sheltie puppy but after a few weeks the breeder told me all five of them were high energy so I decided that 'my' puppy deserves a more active home. I know he/she would not be happy with me and nor I so better this way. Now I'm sending emails to breeders in other countries and hopefully I find my perfect sheltie too.

As for cats, my dog(he is not a sheltie) was a pro cat chaser when he came in my house and my cat is terrified of dogs so it was chaotic at first. The cat now ignores him, Lexi knows he must leave her alone so all good.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi - It was really thoughtful of you not to be selfish
    - I know how much time you have spent on finding the right puppy
    - it is "huge" nice of you.

Cara Sandler likes this.