Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gone "bananas" over bananas

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by karol, Aug 24, 2012.

1. karol

karol Forums Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Rochester NY
    We've "gone bananas" over bananas!

Here is a great treat and so easy to make.

When you buy bananas and they are just at the ripe stage and no one’s eaten them. I slice them and then put them on a tray and freeze, once frozen I move them to a plastic container and put them back in the freezer.

Just great for a treat or to use in a Kong toy.

Talking about going bananas over bananas! Sadie just loves them frozen especially during this hot summer we've had

FYI: Bananas and dogs:
    Bananas are interesting because they are said to add natural acidophilus bacteria to the bowels although probably in small amounts only. Bananas are also a good source of potassium which benefits the muscular system. Their sweetness usually makes them a favorite of dogs. Like all else just don't over do...

Bananas are high in soluble carbohydrates, so they're an excellent source of energy. The antioxidants they contain are helpful to a dog's fur and skin. Bananas are also rich in Vitamin C, are low in sodium, and rich with potassium. All these things are a great addition to your pet's diet.

Enjoy,
    ~Karol & Sadie

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Neat idea, thanks for sharing :smile2:

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Thanks for sharing! I put bananas in my dogs' Kongs every once in a while and freeze it, and they definitely love it!

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Dad used to cut the ends of the bananas for Noah, but it was getting to the point, Noah was getting up to half a banana. I had to stop Dad. Noah loved the bananas.

5. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Sally and i share 1/2 a frozen banana after our walk each evening. We have that in place of icecream :uhoh:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    We call Annie Laurie "Child of the Banana" because she's so nuts for them!

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Bananas are Shelby's favorite in our house they are called shelbnanas:biggrin2:

I never tried freezing them but that is a great idea.

8. Internette

Internette Forums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012
    Florida
    I never knew dogs ate bananas, good to learn these things. I like the replacement for ice cream sounds perfect.

9. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Great idea, Max
    Loves them. Next time I need to make them small enough to fit in Kong? Thanks so much for sharing

10. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Maggie and Zak love bananas. I have been using them to hide Maggie's pills. I also like to mix some up with yogurt, peanut butter and a bit of honey. You can make a big batch and freeze it or just make a little.

I have not had a frozen banana in years, my mom used to dip them in chocolate and freeze them.