Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Grass eating (not sick)

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Hannah, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I'm not sure if this is a behaviour thing or a health-related thing or just a quirk, but my Pepper constantly grazes on grass whenever she is outside. She kind of looks like a sheep or a cow just munching away all of the time. I find it kind of strange. Most other dogs I've known, including my other sheltie Honey, only eat grass prior to being sick, but Pepper is very rarely unwell and just seems to really love it. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with this?

2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu does the same thing. Not just any grass, but a particular weed that grows in the yard. He likes to bite off the tips, and seems to enjoy it as well. I read an article somewhere the eating grass does not necessarily mean they are sick, they may just like the taste.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Three of my dogs are dedicated grass eaters. You'd swear they were cows. Even in winter, they'll forage for any edible grass bits. I have also heard that some dogs just like the taste; others do eat grass but only when their stomachs are upset, and some due to nutritional needs. My uneducated guess is that if a dog always has a taste for grass, it's not because they're sick.

I'm very careful though about what I plant (a few of mine like to snack on flowers too) and what I allow to be put on our grass for that reason. No chemicals of any kind!

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Mine don't eat grass unless they're sick. Tully had been eating grass every morning for some months now so I figured she was just eating it for the sake - until of course the latest health scare.

However, my dogs do have an annoying taste for moist dirt, Deska's the worst. And it gives them the runs. I have absolutely no idea why they do it, even tried giving mineral supplements and it didn't stop. Now in winter I cover the backyard in shade cloth, bins, bags, anything I can find. Lucky I live in a dry climate.

Now I think about it, maybe that's why mine aren't grass eaters - it's too dry here to have luscious grass (I mow the lawn about 4 times a year). Do you guys who have grass eaters live in places you can grow lawn and get luscious grass? I see that picture of Zulu looks like he's laying on a pretty nice lawn.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Same with my previously 3 GSD and Minnie eat it too :biggrin2:

Caro - Here in Denmark we have a green lawn the whole year :yes:

6. Silaria

Silaria Premium Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    All of my dogs love to graze. Not sure if Keiran did this while living with his breeder or if he learned the habbit from Edan and CJ. Either way, they all graze because they want to and it doesn't cause they any upset tummies.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh yes, the Sheltie "grazing cows". We laugh that Brooke is a Holstein (they are black and white too). Both Brooke and Faith are dedicated grazers, especially the new spring grass. They love it, it doesn't seem to hurt them, and it shows up in their poop. Funny to see other Shelties love this too. We avoid all chemicals on our back lawn also.

8. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    So interesting that other people have 'grazing cows' too!

After the dry summer we've had there are only a few green patches left under the trees for Pepper to graze on. Finally having some rain today though!

9. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau is a grazer and forager. My previous sheltie never touched the grass or flowers but Beau does. I will be digging up most of my garden this spring because I have many plants (such as iris, daylillies, wood hyacinths) that he should not be touching. Oh well, would rather have Beau than the flowers.

Hanne likes this.