Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Groomer clipped everywhere without me asking errggg

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Pam, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau was boarded last week (first time boarding for more than 1 overnight) and I scheduled a pre-home BATH ONLY. I even stated no furminator, no clipping--I was told don't worry they don't have time for that anyhow.
    Well, I picked him up. His long top fur is only about 3 inches long, they clipped the fir surrounding his face to 1", etc. He is back to almost the coyote look. And there was one huge mat left in his neck fur. When I took him he was 100% mat free, I brush and groom him bi-daily. He doesn't even mat badly usually. I am furious! Don't quite know what to do.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    OMG Pam, that's awful...I'm so sorry! I don't know what I'd do either, short of calling the owner and asking why did they trim him when you said no nothing except the bath. I don't know why groomers insist on trimming a Sheltie!!! When I got Piper I had many visits with the breeder and she told me only things that need trimming is fur under paws, ears and hocks and yet groomers try to make them look like a short haired dog!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Since they went completely against your instructions for no trimming, I would demand, in writing, a full refund for the boarding and anything else they charged you for. There is no excuse for this.

My advice to anyone who leaves a Sheltie with a non-Sheltie groomer is to give instructions IN WRITING so when this kind of thing happens -- and it does all too often -- you have proof.

Cara Sandler and ghggp like this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Unfortunately, many of us have learned this the hard way as well! I had the same thing happen with Bentley--even after giving explicit instruction to NOT CLIP. My husband picked him up and brought him home and I started crying. Luckily it will grow back and they don't know the difference, but it did make me sad at first.

Definitely get your money back!

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How horrible! I would be in tears too!! We work so hard to make out Shelties look good and there is no excuse to not follow your instructions! Unacceptable!

Yes, demand a full refund!