Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

growth spurt at 4 months...

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by blaiseshimmer, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    And dependiNg on growth stage if short in neck temporarily layback of shoulders could improve in future and that would "lower" measurement. That Happened to my boy around 6 months when he regrew a neck. You completely describe his awkward uneven growth stages! Is your dog small boned? Losing the knuckled knees? Those are other indicators. My guy would have big growth spurts and the plateau so he would be up and down on percentiles at that age. This one has grown 5/16 inch ( a little over 1/4 inch) between 6 and 7 1/2 months and lost knuckly knees by five or so months. But he could still surprise me later sith a big spurt. He was projected that nnot be over 14 and is 14 exactly and small boned.

2. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    Ops deleted due to double post

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Destin was not the smallest or the largest in his litter. he was 3 months when I brought him home and his breeder and the breeder of his mom thought he would stay small. He is 2.5 now and he's 13.75" and about 13.5 lb. we got our official agility height card not too long ago....

then there's Cranberry and Dixie- littermates- Cran is 17.75" and Dix is 15.75" and they were middle size puppies......

Jocu was in size but riding the top of the charts as a puppy... by 9 months, he'd exceeded 16" and is now 16.75"

you just never know about size...........

4. Janine's Mom

Janine's Mom Forums Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    Cara, can you give an update as to your small pup's health? I'm wrestling with a decision right now as to whether to get an undersized tri ... she's the run of the litter, only 6 wks old right now, but the breeder is sure that she will stay petite. I don't mind small ... but I am concerned about the overall health!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Sorry, I just logged back in and saw your post. Spirit's health is perfect! She is a wonderful jumper because she's fairly light boned. She participates in agility, rally, lure coursing, sheep herding, and she's working on getting her AKC trick title as well. She has only been sick one time in her entire life (which we think was probably because she got into something she shouldn't have). I'll be honest, I was worried about her health when I first got her too, but she is perfectly healthy and has grown to be a real beauty.

Janine's Mom likes this.
  6. Janine's Mom

Janine's Mom Forums Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks so much for the info! Party on, Spirit!

Cara Sandler likes this.