Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Halloween

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Pam, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, so last year Beau was a baby (6 months old) at Halloween and it posed a bit of a problem but nothing huge. Well, this year he is so much more protective of the door, our house, and more reactive so I am thinking Halloween may be a nightmare. We have a town that celebrates big and in style, it is not unusual for me to get a couple hundred treak-or-treaters over the course of about 7 hours. I may put him in daucare for the day but still he will be home for the last few hours.

Someone recommended giving him "Treatibles" (https://www.treatibles.com/) which have a low amount of hemp and is supposed help keep calm in times of great stress. I just hate to give him anything.
    Advice?

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    My dog is very reactive, especially with the door and the doorbell. I'm just going to crate her in my bedroom with the TV on and close the door. I'll give her a frozen kong to occupy her for a little bit. I recently installed a doorbell that is hooked up to my phone, so nothing will ring in the house. I used to just hang around the door, so I could catch the trick or treaters before they ring the bell.

Halloween and 4th of July are the most stressful times for my dog. Good luck!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we plan on going to agility class and skipping most of the trick or treat time at the house:winkgrin:

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I used to give Shelby a bully stick to chew on during trick or treat. As she got older I would sit outside with her and she loved and so did the kids.

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Lil' Lady would bark and welcome. So to stop all of her excitement I sit in the dead end street with all the neighbors with
    our candy and wine. Fun night seeing all the kids and neighbors. I just hope it doesn't rain, not suppose to.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Pam - (and others :wink2:)
    Fortunately, Halloween is not so widespread yet in this country, but it's on its way :cry:

Minnie gets 4 drops of this a few times every new year to be on the safe side, :yes:

Bach Rescue Remedy - you can get it for pet´s too, but mine are not.

The original Bach flower remedies are perfectly natural and can be used by everyone in the family.

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hanne,
    Is there a general one? Or would Aspen be what I am looking for? Is Hemp bad for dogs? Just trying to figure it all out.

8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I'll be at work for a good part of the day, so I will probably decide to put him in daycare rather than have the dog walker try and deal with houses that have blowing and whining ghosts and tons of kids screaming and dressed in costumes. But he has to come home before 7 and we get trick-or-treaters until 10:00 (our town really does this BIG)...so I am picturing an exhausted, somewhat stressed dog, facing hours of doorbells and strangers. Not a great scenario. AND Halloween used to be one of my favorite holidays--it never bothered Shadow, but he was just an uber-calm dog, I always said he would open the door, usher in the robbers, and sit quietly at their feet licking their hands. LOL

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we used to be into it but all the kids that were kids when I moved in have grown up or their families moved. I don't know any of the new families so mostly choose to sit it out.....
    and 4 dogs instead of 1 calm one who liked kids....... it's easier to avoid it.

Pam likes this.
  10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I've found that just leaving a huge dish of candy outside the door stops people from knocking.