Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hanna ate some chocolate

Discussion in 'General Health' started by EJHUNTL, May 11, 2014.

  1. EJHUNTL

    EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

    917
    0
    65
    Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    My 91 yaer old father in law was here overnight and this morning, as usual, he left his bag on the floor by the front door. I didn't know he had food in there, including a bag of those rolled (Pirouline) chocolate wafers. Hanna chewed through the foil and ate about 1/4 of the cookies before I noticed what she was doing. She is playing and appears just fine - how concerned should I be and what should I watch for? Do I need to go get some peroxide and induce vomiting?

    I am supposed to leave in about an hour to pick up my mother in law from the nursing home and take her in to town - hanna was going to ne here crated for about 5 house. Now I'm not sure if I should cancel? :confused2:
     
  2. MissieLynn

    MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

    113
    0
    50
    Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Sneaky Sheltie!

    Here's a calculator that might help:

    http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

    I've only induced vomiting once (when Emmy ate a Tylenol capsule), so I'm not that experienced with it. I'm thinking it couldn't hurt though (but I'm absolutely no expert with that.)

    Give her a big hug from us!
     
  3. Jess041

    Jess041 Premium Member

    1,512
    13
    95
    Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    If it's milk chocolate, she would have had to eat a lot.. the darker (more bitter) the chocolate, the more dangerous.
     
  4. EJHUNTL

    EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

    917
    0
    65
    Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    The filling is a chocolate creme - and I figure she ate about the equivalent of 3 cookies ( hard to tell as she got the tops off a bunch of them, so probably not a whole lot ) I'm taking her with me as i have no intention of leaving her alone even for a few minutes until I'mpositive she's okay. Mom in law will have to stay at the nursing home for today. we can always go later in the week.
     
  5. RikyR

    RikyR Premium Member

    303
    8
    70
    Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Cody did the same thing when my son came home on leave. Ate a whole box of chocolates out of his bag. Called our vet, he told us to check the ingredients. If it says milk chocolate, he should be OK. Never had a problem, but he pooped foil for a couple of days!:lol:
     
  6. ferg

    ferg Premium Member

    97
    4
    50
    Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    forced vomiting

    Get a small bottle of "ipecac" at the drug store. If you have small children it is a good item to have in your medicine chest. I guarantee it works, quickly.:eek:
     
  7. Caro

    Caro Moderator

    5,384
    48
    175
    Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    If it's milk (or hazelnut) chocolate then don't worry. They have to eat a large amount to cause any problems. The higher the cocoa level (darker choc) the worse, cooking choc needs only small amounts.

    Tully is the queen of chocolate, which is why I only keep milk and white choc in the house. She has knocked off family sized pkts on a couple of occasions, with only runny green poo to show for it.

    This is something I posted several years ago after one of those incidents.

    After Tully's run in with a bag of smarties I discovered the toxicity levels for chocolate and what happens when a dog eats too much (thanks to our long suffering local vet).

    This is for toxicity levels (ie levels that have a harmful effect).
    Milk
    Chocolate 63.0gm per 1 kilo of dog [1 ounce per pound)
    Dark chocolate 20.5gm per 1 kilo of dog [0.3 ounces per pound)
    Cooking chocolate 7.0gm per 1 kilo of dog [0.12 ounces per pound]

    Death can occur
    Milk chocolate 140-280gm/kg of dog
    [2.23-4.5 ounces per pound]
    Cooking chocolate 15-31gm/kg of dog [0.24-0.5 ounces per pound

    Signs of toxicity - the most obvious signs are an increased heart rate and associated tremors or shaking.

    In the rather large amounts Tully has eaten the bigger issue was the caffeine and sugar. She ate grass, hocked up some phlem, and had dark green poops.
     
  8. Mom2Melli

    Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

    2,184
    0
    85
    Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I had a chocolate hunter once. His big score was 3 miky ways (NOT dark) -- Husband left them in his bag. Dog was OK but he was a BIG dog. He also ate a bible and 2 weeks worth of vitamins in a pill pack.

    I hope she is OK today.
     
  9. Mignarda

    Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

    774
    17
    75
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Back in my good old fat days (pre-Atkins) I'd eat half a tin of those at a time, and it always gave me the jumpies. If I were you, I'd simply watch for symptoms, such as rapid heartbeat, nervousness, lethargy, or unusual energy levels (basically, anything really out-of-the-ordinary).

    Years ago my daughter's small schipperke mix ate an entire bag of Hershey's kisses, foil and all, and spent the entire night zooming around the house, stopping only to throw up on the carpet. But she ended up none the worse for it.
     
  10. EJHUNTL

    EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

    917
    0
    65
    Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Well I took her with me to the nursing home and we're back now and still not seeing anything out of the ordinary - so I think she's going to be fine.

    In-laws think I was being overly cautious - and it's too bad we had to change plans for today - but I've already lost one dog to poisoining so there's no way I could have left her alone here for 4 hours and not been worried out of my mind.
     

Share This Page