Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Has not bark yet

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by andre normand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. andre normand

andre normand Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2017
    Gatineau Quebec
    we had our puppy now for one week so he is 9 weeks old. We have still not heard him bark once yet ( I know it will come). The breeder had 5 adults and even when we picked him up, none of the adults dogs were barking.
    Is this a good sign that my puppy won't be a barker?

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Maybe less of a barker. Sca was almost quiet until I got Spitfire but the two never were huge barkers. Though Spitfire will stand there and bark at me like 'NOW' on occasion, Sca would have never been that undignified :ROFLMAO:

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    Enjoy the quiet while you can. The barking will come.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I don't remember Piper being a barker initially when I took him home at 10 weeks, I think it was about a week or so later after he'd settled in and I thought oh how cute, he barked lol. Now I can't stop him, he barks at everything and nothing! I agree with Phoebe, enjoy it while it lasts.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla isn't really a big barker, but her brother Beckon more than makes up for it!

6. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We got Oberon at 8 weeks. He didn't bark at all until he was about 12 weeks. The first few times he barked, he came to wherever we were and looked at us pleased as could be, as if to say, "See what I can do? I can make noise!!". Now he barks at a lot of things, some of which we can figure out, some of which remain mysteries known only to the Sheltie mind.

7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Mine didn't start barking until they were older....and the more you have the more they bark!

8. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    My girl of 4 months is not barking much for now. But she is already a good watchdog and every strange noise in the yard is reported. The problem is I have two and when one starts it is difficult to stop them.:rolleyes2: So be happy she is not barking yet:lol:

Hanne likes this.