Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Height/weight, and now length, spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, May 5, 2011.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Forum regulars will remember the height/weight spreadsheet which has the vitals of over 80 of our forum shelties.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...BqQUJRY3BVeXc&authkey=CMr_9-IJ&hl=en_GB#gid=0

I have updated the spreadsheet to include a column for length - I am always getting comments how long Deska is so I am interested in seeing if he really is overly long. I took length as from the collar bone to the base of the tail, does anyone have a better measure?

Dont forget to update your details. I am happy to enter or update details if people would rather not play with the spreadsheet.

For new dogs please put the details at the end of the list and don't try to insert a line or sort as its a bit temperamental and we have had a few mess ups. I sort details regularly (and keep a copy just in cases so just PM me if the spreadsheet plays up).

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Thanx Caro. I updated Emma's and Liam's height as they are now adult dogs (Emma is 19 months, Liam 17 months). I will update the weight as they go to the vet's tomorrow for their summer bloodwork and summer meds.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I added the length for my two...

It's interesting because I always think Lexi looks so much longer than Bentley, but she is an only an inch longer (she's 15.5 and he's 14.5).

Also, Lexi is exactly the same length as she is tall!

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I updated our info. Since 'Sadie' is a common name, I pup my profile initials next to her name (OS). I'll update it again later to add Toby and the lengths of all three.

Where is the length measurement to be taken from?

And what is the height/ratio supposed to be? Approx. 1?

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I went from withers (where I measure height) to base of tail.

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    when you look at breed standards that discuss length, the measurement is taken from the front of the chest to the end of the pelvis.

an example from the DPCA

http://dpca.org/breed/breed_at-a-glance.htm

Dobermans are suppose to be square dogs, so you can see how they are measured. Shelties should be slightly longer than they are high.

So Ashley you should take your measurements further forward.

7. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    Oops...I inserted a line and added Zoey BEFORE I read your full post. I deal with spreadsheets all the time so I believe that it is still OK (looks all good). I updated weights as well. I haven't measured lengths yet.

8. Katherine

Katherine Premium Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    Snap shrunk

And / or my "unofficial" measuring (at 17.25) was incorrect. I got an official measurement at the AKC agility trial last weekend. Judge measured him at 16.75 and AKC Rep at 17.00. Rep's measurement was the "second" measurement, so it becomes his official measurement.

I got a length of 18.5. Seems short for what I consider to be an extended cab boy.

9. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Looking at that spred sheet it looks like Cosmo Needs to go on a diet.
    nice bit of info though.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Premium Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    That was interesting. Diva's height/length ratio is 1.19, Justice 1.10, and Ember 1.06. Diva is only .5" shorter in length than Justice and 1.5" shorter in height. She is 2" longer than Ember but only less than 1/4" shorter in height.

Confirms what I know feeling them. Diva is a bit long in the loin so she is longer in the body than she should be.

Ember is very short coupled in the loin. She is almost too square and has that cobby look, and the short neck that tends to go with it.

Justice is quite balanced. His conformation issues lie elsewhere. :smile2:

I also found the sheltie measuring points and the prefered ratio:

From the ASSA Judges education presentation May 2008,

Proportion: “the body should appear moderately long….from shoulder
    joint to ischium, BUT much of this length is actually due to the proper
    angulation and breadth of the shoulder and hindquarter, as the back itself
    should be comparatively short.” (emphasis added)

An English source suggests the body length is 1/10 greater than the height.

You can see the whole thing here. It is very informative.
    http://assa.org/documents/ASSAJudgesEdpresentationMay2008.pdf