Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello from France

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Ekhor, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you for pictures, a puppy is adorable but there is now something about an older dog :yes:

Hope this can help you;

Yes, if your dog is grown up - It will typically say 1-1½ years old - is it a great training partner.
    Only very small, very heavy and very large dogs are not physically fit to run long trips.

Small dog breeds like Shelties must run 5-7 km (3-4 miles)

However, as in humans, the shape of the dog must be gradually expanded. If you have run for many years, it is important that the dog is allowed to run only with some of the road in the first time. Dogs may also suffer from overload damage.

The dog must not be trained more than it wants. If it slows down, sits down or stops along the way, it is because it requires a break.

Do not run faster than your dog can drive next to you. Trot is the dog's long distance technique. Build for example. The shape of the dog starts at the beginning 1 minute and goes 2 minutes. Go gradually up to 3 minutes and 1 minute walk - and finally the dog is in shape to run all the way.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I don't run, with or without Oberon. However, when my son-in-law's in town, he takes Oberon for a run. They usually run for 3 or 4 miles the second time out. The first time they go, Oberon's so excited that he tries to go too fast and gets too excited, so they end up coming home about 5 minutes after they leave.

3. Ekhor

Ekhor Forums Novice

Oct 3, 2015
    France
    Thanks for your replies.
    Link is 2 years old and is a really good partner for hiking (the longest was 9 or 10 miles) but I haven't tried to seriously train him for running.
    I have knee pains for several weeks but I follow your advice Hanne as soon as I can run again :)

Hanne likes this.
  4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Sounds like a great plan!