Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help, I have to spay my sheltie and I am really terrified to do this to her

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Spirit dog, Aug 8, 2017.

1. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Thought I would chime in...I have spayed all 4 of my girls, all within their first yr of life. Never had any issues with fur growth, but I live in colder climates. One thing I have always had was fur abundance. Last year was a BAD winter here. My girls coated up like CRAZY they really packed on the undercoat to deal with the (-) temps we got early on. They all came from furry parents though-working dogs. I have recently dealt with spay incontinence in Savannah. She is smaller-15 lbs. Nap time and overnight she was having trouble holding urine, no dripping between, just when she went into a deeper sleep she had issues. She will be 3 on labor day, so kinda early for this. Consulting the Vets-I go the holistic route-I use meds as the last avenue if possible. We found what worked for her and she is dry again-no further issues. This has been over the summer. I have wondered if the heat(it happened once it was getting so incredibly hot here) and the increased water intake to deal with the heat has been a factor-who knows. Kaleigh & Savannah were spayed at almost 7 mths. Kaleigh is bigger by about 5 to 7 lbs. Both done by the same Dr., both woke up shortly from the surgery and wanted to come home. Both recovered quickly and sutures dissolved fast. I was a basket case both times, but they did great-no issues. I had used country Vets in the past, on my previous two girls. Kaleigh was seeing a holistic Vet who didn't perform surgeries. Finding a Vet that would perform the surgery w/o an overnight stay, w/o trying to revaccinate Kaleigh was near impossible. Classic ego power struggle for the clinics that didn't recognize holistic Vets. Holistic Vets use the SAME vaccinations as they do, from the SAME sources, as required by the state, they just don't always administer them ALL together, and they dose per weight of the dog which some of the clinics do not. They have to be certified and licensed by the State-so it was ridiculous. My breeder uses a country Vet and they gave me loads of grief about that as well. The breeder, the country Vet, and my holistic Vet all backed me up against the clinics trying to force re-vaccination on Kaleigh to spay her. The claim/excuse was she might not be healthy or pose risk and they needed to be sure. Which was INSANE. We had health records on her parents, health records on her, everything was documented. VERY sore subject for me, because the clinics in my area were nothing more than profit makers, it isn't about true health of a pet, it is about price GOUGING, and padding the bottom line as much as possible for services. Which I proved to the state from the estimates I got from these places. Just because I wasn't using their "preferred" Vets or their vaccination recommendations, etc. I mention all that to say, comparison shop, know the attitudes and procedures of any clinic you use, and make SURE you know what they will charge for, what they will be doing before, during and after any procedure. Make sure it aligns with your personal choices. Question everything so you feel comfortable and confident. Get it in writing, especially the costs. I learned a lot about the process with Kaleigh-times had really changed from what I was use to, and I will say NOT for the better imho. My previous girls never were put through the wringer on a routine spay like what I dealt with for her. My dogs have all lived long happy lives being spayed. We had girl dogs growing up that were spayed. None had their first cycle, or a litter. I suspect Kaleigh & Savannah will age out as well. Savannah is petite, she is finer boned than any of my others, and I think a bit more sensitive healthwise due to her size. With anything, do what FEELS right for your circumstance. Find a Vet that answers all your concerns.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Spaying and neutering had never been an issue for us because it is mandated for rescue for our first two dogs. Katy was two when spayed and knock on wood so far has been fine. When we were looking through breeders we still planned to spay/neuter but the question then became who would be responsible as we were looking for a dog beyond the puppy years. All the breeders we spoke with required spaying or neutering, Annie's breeder wanted to have it done before placing her and that worked out for us.

3. Spirit dog

Spirit dog Forums Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you so much for answering my post. My girl will be 15 months when I get her spayed, do you think that her coat will be OK as you said the older they are the better. I have a contract that I have to get her spayed by December 31. So I am trying to wait as long as I can.she has had one heat which I know will help. Did your shelties have trouble in recovery is it hard to keep them calm so the stitches can heal.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    At 15 months and with one season behind her, she should do just fine. Her coat should be OK too. It can be hard to keep Shelties quiet after surgeries for sure. It's a good idea to have a crate or pen to confine her for the first few days for when you can't watch her. Then just keep her from jumping on furniture and doing stairs until her stitches come out. She will probably do some things she shouldn't...they all do, but they do heal and it's usually an easy recovery. Good luck!

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Most are required to wear the cone to keep them from messing with the stitches. I opted to have my girls wear a surgi-suit. I don't like cones at all. Keeping them quiet was the hardest part because mine after the first day didn't seem bothered at all. They had a post op appt to make sure the stitches were healing correctly and infection free. Both had incisions about an inch. I kept mine on a very short leash or in their crate or in a gated area full of toys. Savannah had trouble peeing, she was lifting her leg forward for 3 days,but I was told not to worry if it didn't continue. It didn't. After the surgery she walks as she pees, before she just squatted.

6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I had Lil' Lady spay done and no problems. We did the laser on her, where there aren't stitches to contend with. She is 11 1/2.
    Lil' Lady did great healing. I just had to keep her calm for a few days.

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I do not like/have cones - I do not like/have cages :no:

I was advised by a member here on the SN to give her a baby body stocking on - but I had bought much to too small ones !!!
    - I chose to give her a tank top on
    Poor Minnie 2 hours after surgery in front of a little fan https://goo.gl/photos/MAWsbyxiSM1VJPU77

- I closed it with a huge plastic bag close on her back, when I could not keep my eye on her (example at night) and it worked really fine - tesslynn had I known that I could get an operation body stocking so I had done this. :yes:

Minnie walked freely around in the house and the garden, but was always on the leash of walking for about 10 days, we could not walk in the sand in those days :cry:

It is best to do the surgery between 2 maturities as their "mind" is most in balance.

If you have the opportunity - I would take vacation for 7- 14 days
    - for your own conscience sake and you can give your fur baby care.:hugs

8. Spirit dog

Spirit dog Forums Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Thankyou so much for you response. I really appreciated reading about your experiences. Helps a lot. Thanks again

9. Spirit dog

Spirit dog Forums Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Awe thanks, and that us a coincidence that your dogs name is spirit. That's what they are they all our spirits that come to us for a short while to help us along the way. I appreciate your response thank you

Cara Sandler likes this.
  10. Spirit dog

Spirit dog Forums Novice

Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you