Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help, I have to spay my sheltie and I am really terrified to do this to her

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Spirit dog, Aug 8, 2017.

  1. Spirit dog

    Spirit dog Forums Novice

    Aug 8, 2017
    Oh well thank you, that's great advice, I really appreciate your response. Take care and thanks again
  2. Spirit dog

    Spirit dog Forums Novice

    Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you for your response I really appreciate it.
  3. Spirit dog

    Spirit dog Forums Novice

    Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you for all your great advice and for your response I really appreciate it and will take it all into consideration. Thanks again
  4. Cherie

    Cherie Forums Regular

    Sep 19, 2015
    Smokie Mountains
    Like you I have a New puppy (4 months) and worry too. But Callie is my third Shetland. My first was spayed at seven months, she lived to the age of 14 with no issues until her old age, full glorious coat. My second was a spayed rescue. Our new vet ( we moved) is actually suggesting we do this at about five months of age. Suggesting to do this before her first HEAT cycle, and said it can help stave off mammary cancer. Our breeder requires her to be spayed by the age of six months per agreement. So we will be doing this as soon as he thinks she has grown large enough to safely do. (keeping in mind they spay Chihuahuas too.) I am more concerned with keeping her on low activity for the few days after. Our new puppy just may be custom made for fly-ball....Ball Crazy GO..GO..GO...24/7. :)

    As for the stress of surgery we go thru for our puppers:

    Remember you can always consult more than one vet, and even price around. PRICEY does not always mean better. Finding the right vet is like finding the right dentist. Mine knows I am the somewhat neurotic mamma of shelties; That my girls are spoiled but also Loved immensely. He doats on our girls as well as his other patients...plays with them, sits on the floor with them sometimes to do his exam. He doesn't stress them on that scary table. He has gained their trust. When one of my dogs follows him willingly around to the back room (as if to say... Hey where you going?) I have to trust they feel comfortable /safe in that office.

    We live on the outskirts of major city and he charges around $250 and will give her the ID chip while knocked out as well, since its a big needle. He didn't want to chip before this due to her feeling pain. I hadn't even thought about that until he mentioned it. Perhaps he is not as expensive as some I have heard of because there is competition in the area, but his office is immaculately clean, staff pleasant, and he is well equipped, but no flashy neon signs, No fancy waiting room, just a boring red brick building...he has 10 years of experience.

    I will still worry the day it happens for our Callie, but having a comfort level with your vet can help. Find a place you feel comfortable, so you can ask questions. If you feel they do not address your concerns, they most likely don't care if your dog feels comfortable either.

    Sincerely wishing you and your little fluff ball the best. May all go perfect since you already own the perfect dog!:kiss:
  5. Cara Sandler

    Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

    Jul 11, 2015
    Honestly - it is of course your decision. But if it eases your mind at all, there are many health benefits to spaying, including, as you said, eliminating the risk of pyometra. There are risks and benefits to spaying, and risks and benefits to not spaying. I actually didn't tell anyone when I was ready to spay Skylar. She's my dog, it's my decision, and I didn't want to hear from a bunch of people who didn't have to live with the consequences of having an intact dog. For me, the risks of leaving her intact were greater than the risks of spaying her. She recovered extremely quickly and I don't regret my decision at all.

    As far as having to get an antihistamine with vaccines - that's not unheard of. Again, it's a risk versus benefit thing, and to me the risk of having my dog die of a completely preventable disease is far worse than the risk that the vaccine poses. Allergic reactions can be managed but they do require caution. But I don't know that I would choose not to vaccinate at all unless my pet had a really severe, life threatening reaction. People are treated with medications that they are allergic to quite often, and it is managed with an antihistamine. Sometimes a lot of antihistamine - but again, that to me is far less risky than having my dog be exposed to rabies and dying.
  6. Hanne

    Hanne Forums Enthusiast

    Nov 13, 2014
    Spirit dog - As you maybe remember - I was as frustrated as you until the day I made the final decision (thought of it day and night).

    When the day came, I was terrified that something would happen with Minnie, then the next phase

    I chose the slightly expensive way:
    Most veterinarians today remove only the ovaries and not the whole uterus, as studies have shown that it can be left without problems and no longer causes problems. The operation wound is thus reduced and the operating time is shortened.
    Make it between 1st and 2nd term
    Make sure that you vet know and user anesthesia that is MDR1 friendly
    Ann likes this.

Share This Page